• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking Eclectus

CheekyBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
Our family’s 20 yr old eclectus male has had a plucking problem for 12 yrs, and he never stopped, it’s been getting worse recently and it’s so bad he can’t fly anymore. We really are stuck on what to do. Please help, he’s so unfriendly that to tap his beak with your hand is amazing, and he will never let you pick him up. it’s quite upsetting. We don’t have enough money to visit a vet. Any ideas on how to fix this problem???:sad8:

Attachments

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Hi, :welcometrain: to the forum!

Lots of good articles around, and definitely look through the behavior byway section. There's a subsection there called pluckers parlor. There are also very good articles posted, but you might have to do a search for them unless someone more savvy than I can post links to them here.

There are so many factors to consider, the vet can help you rule in or out medical conditions, and there's diet and mental health issues in abundance. I would start saving for some tests, and reading as much as you can. It's a very long road to travel.

He's a cutie. I hope you can find some things to do to help him.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Welcome to the Avenue! I’m so sorry your handsome boy is plucking, I know there are many here that have experiences with plucking and will chime in to help. I hope you can find some resources and answers here that will help. More information about your baby will go a long way. What does he eat? What is his cage setup: size, toys, etc.? What kind of out of cage time does he get and how is it spent? Do you have any other birds? How much sleep does he get a night? And anything else you can think of that would help us assess the situation and give you ideas on what might help. :bighug:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The best thing to do is to rule out medical issues first.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hi welcome :greet14:

Unfortunately as much as I hate to say it, going to a vet is probably your best option, even if that's means waiting and saving up for it. Eclectus seem to be a species that are more prone to plucking :( Dealing with a chronic plucker is so frustrating as it can extremely difficult to correct that behavior. There are medical treatments you try with a vet. I understand you can't afford a vet now but has he even seen a vet? Perhaps when the plucking started?

You might try misting him as it can be helpful. Also looking into his diet, as vitamin deficiencies can aggravate plucking behaviors. I wish I more are advice for you. I wish you and your flock all the best

CheekyBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
Thanks guys,
Welcome to the Avenue! I’m so sorry your handsome boy is plucking, I know there are many here that have experiences with plucking and will chime in to help. I hope you can find some resources and answers here that will help. More information about your baby will go a long way. What does he eat? What is his cage setup: size, toys, etc.? What kind of out of cage time does he get and how is it spent? Do you have any other birds? How much sleep does he get a night? And anything else you can think of that would help us assess the situation and give you ideas on what might help. :bighug:
I’m not sure the size of his cage but it’s fairly large, he has a bunch of toys that he doesn't really like, the door is always open for him to come out (he can’t fly more than a meter away) he likes to sit on top of his cage, but that’s only started in the last year or so. He only sits on/in his cage, but we can give him kisses that he lovesHe mainly eats seeds because he won’t eat anything else, he has the occasional treat of an apple, capsicum, passionfruit(his favourite), corn, and some others things aswell. But mostly seeds.we recently got some green cheek conures, but when he started plucking we had an Indian ring neck, who he was friends with, and two outside aviary birds that would attract king parrots who he loved to watch and talk to. He gets sleep from whenever my mum goes to bed (11pm-1am) and from then it’s until we wake up (7am-9am). We think he got jealous because my mum had to spend time with me (the new baby) and couldn’t spend as much time with him. He was also hand raised and then neglected until we bought him at 10 months old, so he’s never been an easy bird. We have tried misting him, it has not helped and he sees it as unexplainable punishment. :( thank you guys for trying to help, me, having lived with this my whole life, hasn’t seen it a problem until recently. :( I’m not sure he’s ever seen a vet.... we were going to do it in the next couple of weeks, but ah... we REALLY can’t afford it and won’t be able to for some time. I’ll keep you posted on his updates

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
80% of an Eclectus parrot's diet should be soft foods, such as vegetable, fruits and soaked seeds. Yes, they will eat seeds but they are not normally seed eaters. I honestly think if you work hard on transitioning his diet to where it should be, you will find a much happier bird who doesn't pluck as much.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Yes, his diet may be a large part of the problem.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Monaco is very picky, and hesitant to even taste a new food unless I eat it in front of her. Even then it can take a week or more of offering for her to eat some from her bowl. My chickens have been eating VERY well since she got here! It can be difficult and time consuming to find foods they'll eat, but so worth it!

Keep in mind that any new thing can really be stressful for them. This is why I eat in front of her. She's genuinely interested in sharing food, and she doesn't seem stressed or scared unless she gets frustrated that she doesn't want anything from my plate. When I put the new food in her breakfast bowl it's a small amount right next to something she likes... This goes on until she eats it or I run out, and then I start again with something else. I circle back to those untouched things occasionally, and sometimes she'll surprise me and eat it right away. Right now it's frozen Bing cherries. I thought I was going to have to make a pie, but she suddenly leaves all of her grapes and the cherries disappear quickly. It's been about 10 days of cherries and strawberries...oddly enough she has refused the strawberries the whole time and they're usually a favorite. They're really good, so it's confusing for me, but on we go. Sweet potatoes are up next, guava, and two of her staples: peas and corn to be sure she's eating enough. The whole process has been hard for me, because I'm a planner. Shop, prepare a lot, freeze, serve, no worries or interruptions...nice routine. So, she's teaching me patience and perseverance. But it's a lot of fun, too, sharing meals is one of my favorite things to do with her!

Start small, and don't give up! It's also not expensive if you get things you can freeze or eat yourself to prevent waste. I didn't think she would like lettuce, but she runs over to have at least a bite every time I have a salad! Surprise!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I wanted to add that sprouts are very inexpensive and easy. Monaco thinks they must be carefully attacked and flung to the ground, but a lot of birds like them a lot. I'm going to try sunflower seeds next.... More green, less stringy worm like look to them...

The eclectus ark (check on fb and I think they have a website) uses wheat and several others. I've been inspired by their pictures several times.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Change his diet immediately! Stick with about 80% fresh fruit (they love berries, diced apples, banana, softer fruits are best), add plenty of orange colored veggies (they prefer soft foods, so steam or boil veggies), and protein servings twice a week (boiled chicken, scrambled eggs, nuts). Their digestive system is very different from any other species of bird. Their health and/or feathering will suffer if fed a standard birdie diet!!!