• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking/Chewing feathers

ShelbyA

Moving in
Real Name
Shelby Anderson
My White Fronted Amazon has recently gone through her bluffing period, and she had begun to chew her feathers. I hadn't seen her actually pluck any feathers until recently. I am going to see if chamomile tea will help? I read that someone with an African Grey gave the tea to them and they began to calm down. I have provided lots of preening toys and have only seen slight improvement. Any advice?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If the plucking is a new thing, a vet visit can help - just incase there´s an underlying problem.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You’ll need to provide more information to get sound advice. What is this bird’s story? Diet? Environment? Age? Plucking is a very complicated thing with no easy answer.

The first order of business is a vet check to rule out any medical issues. Most birds pluck out of boredom.

ShelbyA

Moving in
Real Name
Shelby Anderson
She is 2 years old and has a diet of fresh fruit and veggies and the Zupreem natural pellets. Recently I have noticed an increase of pin feathers on her head, but not any other part of her body. She gets misted and regular baths during the week. Provided with plenty of toys she enjoys and she is out often. I am not sure that boredom could be the answer to her plucking.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Of course the vet is best place to start. Is anyone in house a smoker (of anything)? Is there a new stressor for the bird or family? If you position yourself at her cage and look everywhere from her point of view is there anything that looks like it could be stressing her? Has her routine drastically changed?

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I just found this about 5 minutes ago. I have seen many plucked birds within the past 10 years but would never have guess this.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a nearly 22 yo Cherry Headed Conure who is a life-long plucker and occasionally self mutilates. I’ve only had him for 5 1/2 months, but the worst of his behavior now seems hormonally driven. I use a petal collar on him when he picks open a sore on his chest.

Definitely a trip to the vet, but some good old detective work to see what may be triggering this behavior will help.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
A vet check to rule out pain, skin issues and other medical reasons is important and should be done as soon as possible.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John