• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking, bullying and separation

DivineBLAC

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jessie
Hi everyone,

I hope this thread is in the right spot, apologies if it isn't. I am a parront to 2 little green cheek conures, age approximately 2yrs. I hand raised them from 4wks old. For the last 4 months my youngest Iskar has been picking on the older one Anzu and over time they were losing feathers, which i thought was moulting. Turns out it isnt moulting season and one of them is plucking, if not both. They are siblings, bonded to each other and have only ever been seperated once for 3wks when Anzu had an accident and lost half of one foot. I do not know the sexes of my birds so I am unsure if they are male and female and being hormonal, hence the aggression or what the deal is. But it has esculated badly over the last 48hrs and even though I tried giving them the benefit of the doubt, Iskar is just being too aggressive and hurting Anzu and pulling out feathers. I have not seen Anzu pluck, but it is definately happening. So i have somewhat seperated them tonight, until i can get another cage where they can see each other. My main concern now, is whether they will become distressed being apart. They have been calling out for each other (they are in the same cage but its one you can seperate into two above each other). I dont want to cause them distress but I cant have Iskar plucking more feathers. Its also during the day now not just night time. I have put them to bed, covered them, light off and can hear them talking non stop to each other and blowing kisses but I cant help but worry. I do have spark for electeolytes and another one for slow moulters to help but i dont know if its helping. What else can i do to help the feathers grow back and also help with distress? Thanks in advance for any replies. I am in Australia so I apologise if I dont reply to any right away.

Thanks,

Jess

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump