• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking/barbering or molting?

LolDog815

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey, I registered for this site cause I was wondering if my GCC is just having a rough molt or is barbering/plucking

Here's an older video (September 2nd) of him picking at the area

Here's a new video of him picking at the area. It's worse quality than the first vid but I took pictures up-close of him to show the areas affect

You can the progression on how much more has happened since then but cause I'm a new owner (had him for only 2 years), I want to know others opinion on this. To clarify, I did see a few pin feathers at the time of the first recording but I don't see any now in the affected spots

Sorry if I posted this twice but just on different post categories. I wasn't sure which one to post about this.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
On the videos it just looks like preening, but on the last two photos you can see there has been some barbering done.
I would contact your vet, see if you can figure out together what is causing this.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My CH Conure is a plucker, and I agree that your vet will be a great resource for helping your sweet conure.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He is over preening the area.

The first thing you want to rule out is an infection. It's usually the cause and easily cured with medications.
Just make sure you find a vet that sees birds often.