• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucked Sulfur Crested Coming tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
I have a Sulfur Crested and the man doesn't know if it is medium, greater or lesser, so I will need to see it. She is plucked on her legs. The owner talked to the vet and he said she was sexually frustrated. He said that the best situation is to find her a new home because she is attached to the man and the wife doesn't like her. The cage is extremely small, she has been on a crap diet and styrofoam cups have been used for toys. Ugh! So tomorrow at 11:00am she is coming. I will take pics and let you know how she does.

Last edited:
M

M.C Bird Rescue

HAHAHAH UGH I hate that GUY! He said I reprimanded him like a child...he had freaking styrofoam cups as toys and wires from like a lamp! DUH heck ya I reprimanded him.
Stan is MUCH better in YOUR care!

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Oh god Crystal geez hahaha down doggy lol hahaha am I sensing a little bit of bitterness haha

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Jennifer glad your helping out this feathered friend.

I hope he is a friendly fellow (the bird).

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Poor baby.. the thing that ticks me off the most is the cage size and toys, they're not dogs, so it's not as if they don't need a ton of toys. :rolleyes: I'll shush before I get started and say more.. :hehe:

catnloco

Sprinting down the street
she has been on a crap diet and styrofoam cups have been used for toys. Ugh!
Sounds like my Luigi's life except he also has a butane heater for his only source of heat. I cant wait to see how this one comes around.
This is Luigi this afternoon I am so very proud of him.

Attachments

hbtigger1401

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
lynn
so glad your getting the birdie at least he will be cared for properly

Terri

Real Name
Terri
Stan is doing beautiful. She has new growth on both her legs and I haven't seen her pluck in the 2 weeks she has been with us. She plays a lot, eats great, let's me preen her during the day and LOVES my husband. So I will admit I am a little heartbroken. Have been longing for the companionship of a 2 for sooo long and she picked my hubby :-( BUT she is beautiful, healthy and quiet...what more could I ask for from a foster.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Stan is doing beautiful. She has new growth on both her legs and I haven't seen her pluck in the 2 weeks she has been with us. She plays a lot, eats great, let's me preen her during the day and LOVES my husband. So I will admit I am a little heartbroken. Have been longing for the companionship of a 2 for sooo long and she picked my hubby :-( BUT she is beautiful, healthy and quiet...what more could I ask for from a foster.
I'd like to throw something out there just for curiosity and food for thought.

I am going to assume your husband did not pay much attention to Stan since you got her. He knew she was there and may have said the odd "hi" to her and did not look or stare at her much. I will also assume he was non chalant around her and really has no fear of her. He just goes about his business doing whatever and only occasionally acknowledging her.

That is how a senior member of a real flock would act and treat her. That is something they gravitate to. He was using good bird "body language" without even trying or knowing he was doing it. I think that is a possible reason why she chose him.

I will assume you were paying her all kinds of attention to her. Playing with her, lots of interaction etc. That is what another flock mate would do who is at the same hierarchy level would do. That is someone they would get along with just fine but not someone they would choose as a mate.

I would love to know if I assumed the situation correctly for my own curiosity. :)

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
I bet John our resident AA bird whisperer has it pegged....

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Although I disagree with John's "Hierarchy" theory, I definetly agree with his post.

Cockatoos seem to be interested in those who are not interested in them and those who seem to be more bird like in personality, ie, respecting their space, perhaps even being humble to their territory and birdyness. People seem to be the same way too. When they are adored and loved by many, the one who doesnt flatter them with attention is the one that occupies their mind.

Terri

Real Name
Terri
John has it right. I couldn't hide my enthusiasm and just wanted to be overly loving. My husband has no fear of anything because we had 2 timber wolves and you have to be confident to show u r the dominant pack member. So...you have it pegged but u already knew that :). Suggestions? I'm loving her and her potential to be a part of our family. I just want to do what is best to help my husband and I continue to build a solid foundation with her. She has so many great qualities. Thanks for your input - I just adore what I know about SC2's...just need to keep learning.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
I'd like to throw something out there just for curiosity and food for thought.

I am going to assume your husband did not pay much attention to Stan since you got her. He knew she was there and may have said the odd "hi" to her and did not look or stare at her much. I will also assume he was non chalant around her and really has no fear of her. He just goes about his business doing whatever and only occasionally acknowledging her.

That is how a senior member of a real flock would act and treat her. That is something they gravitate to. He was using good bird "body language" without even trying or knowing he was doing it. I think that is a possible reason why she chose him.

I will assume you were paying her all kinds of attention to her. Playing with her, lots of interaction etc. That is what another flock mate would do who is at the same hierarchy level would do. That is someone they would get along with just fine but not someone they would choose as a mate.

I would love to know if I assumed the situation correctly for my own curiosity. :)
Althought that is probably correct I also wanted to point out that the owner surrendered him (the owner was a male) because Stan was bonded to him and the vet thought the plucking was partly due to sexual frustration. The owner sexually stimulated her a lot and didn't even know what he was doing and Stan would then become frustrated and would scream and bite. He was OK with the wife let her pet Stan but LOVED the husband.

I think you are correct John but I also just wanted point out that this bird likes men already as well. That is a great way of putting it by the way. :) Thank you for your input!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Althought that is probably correct I also wanted to point out that the owner surrendered him (the owner was a male) because Stan was bonded to him and the vet thought the plucking was partly due to sexual frustration. The owner sexually stimulated her a lot and didn't even know what he was doing and Stan would then become frustrated and would scream and bite. He was OK with the wife let her pet Stan but LOVED the husband.

Good point. That would be a big factor of course.

Although I disagree with John's "Hierarchy" theory, I definetly agree with his post.
There is a hierarchy in every flock Mercedez. I did not say dominance or anything like that. It's a respect for a birds place in the flock. Older more experienced flock members automatically take on leadership roles for the whole flock and are looked up to for that reason. Taking on those leadership roles would make them stronger members of the flock and thus the most desirable to breed with. Increasing the stronger blood lines of the flock. Natural selection for survival of the fittest if you will.

The same goes for actual breeding. The male may want to breed but it's up to the female to be receptive to it before the breeding actually takes place. The female also chooses who the male will be. Not the other way around. Putting two birds in a cage, forcing them to breed without choice is not natural and does not apply.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.