• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucked feathers all of a sudden a month after a mild molt. No bald patches. Active and energetic.

miba55

Strolling the yard
Hi. My female budgie Daisy is around 6 or 7 months old. A month ago she went through a mild molt, at least I think it was mild. She had spikes, pin feathers on her head and she was dropping little feathers while preening. There were no bald spots. According to everything I read about molting, that was a mild molt.

Cut to yesterday, I've started seeing lots of little plucked feathers in her cage and around the areas she likes to perch. I have examined her closely and there are no bald spots. She is active, playing with her toys all the time, flying around the house, chirping. But when she preens, a lot more feathers drop than usual.

Since this is my first time keeping a budgie, I wanted ask you guys what this could be. Is it possible for her to go through another mild molt this quickly?

She eats a vegetable every day. She has a quality seed mix in her food bowl. I change her water every day.

Thanks.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Molting takes a few weeks to happen sounds like shes molting still

reeb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Robyn
Sounds like molting to me. It isn't always a super regular thing, so don't worry too much. As @Budgiebonkers said, it takes a few weeks, and even then it varies from bird to bird. I hope this reassures you! It's great that you are so perceptive to your budgie's needs!:budgieyf:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Birds lose and replace feathers all the time. Not just during a moult. It's just heavier at that time. Look at your hair brush. How much hair did you lose just today?

Budgies very rarely pluck. It is not a common thing. A baby bird also does not pluck. They also lose more feathers than an adult because they are baby feathers.

miba55

Strolling the yard
Thanks everyone. Gotta say I'm relieved.