• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pls help.! Something thick in sun conure cheek

manaftam

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Manaf
Hi All,

Can some one tell what is there in my sun conure cheek ? ... My conure is 45-50 days old. This thing appear when he was 30 days or something and now I feel it's getting bigger...he is all ok otherwise.

Pls some one tell is this anything to worry about? When I touch that thing its little hard... whenever I try to massage to that cheek he is not that much happy...Other side cheek I use to massage and he likes it..

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are you feeding formula? It looks like dried on formula to me. You could try and soften it with a warm wet washcloth

manaftam

Real Name
Manaf
Giving nutribird a19 now. At first I thot the same. But last 2 ..3 days Im trying the same as you suggested. But it remains same. Its little solid... :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Formula and regurgitation can harden like cement in my experience. It takes time especially if it's been building up for a couple weeks.

If you don't think that's what it is, then it's time for a vet visit.

manaftam

Real Name
Manaf
Thanks for your advice... ! Appreciate .

Lemme try ..warming with clothes continuous days. Hope it will disappear...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That is formula. 100%.

Formula dries down like cement, very solid. You will need to dampen it to remove it. If your bird is fully feathered, you can offer a bath. Afterwards, gently swipe the formula to remove. Be very very gentle.

I just babysat for a young bird who had dried formula all over his face, and I got the stuff off his beak in the first bath, but there were other bits that took 5 baths and some gentle rubbing to remove.

The key is to be patient, and be gentle.

edit; once you have it removed, be sure that after each feed, you are wiping the beak area with a damp cloth to remove formula and avoid this build up again.

It is important to remove it as it can harbour bacterias. So yes, it will eventually shed off with the feathers, but really, you need to remove it before then for higiene reasons.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
soften it with a warm wet washcloth
Wet the cloth in hot water, once it´s cooled enough to handle, hold it to the dried formula. Hold it there for 20-30 seconds or so. Then gently rub. Then dip the cloth back into the hot water to warm it up again. Then press onto the formula, hold, rub. Keep repeating. It will take quite a while, but it is not impossible and it will come off.