• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Pliskin got into a fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiihay

Meeting neighbors
Yesterday my Green Cheek Conure, Plsikin, and my Meyer's Parrot, Emmerich, got into another one of their pecking matches. This happens on occasion with them where one just decides that isn't a good day to be friends. Usually it doesn't end with anyone getting hurt, though Plsikin's been nailed in the beak a few times before leaving a dent and possibly a bruised beak but never blood.

Well yesterday I saw it happen and grabbed the two as soon as I could, but it was just a second too late. Emmerich got Pliskin's beak leaving a sizable scrape on his top beak and upon further inspection I realized there was a tad of blood inside Pliskin's mouth. From the looks of it Emmerich's sharp beak punctured him just in corner and inside of the top beak.... I'll try to get pictures later today...

He's having problems opening his mouth completely to yawn though he is still using it to nip at me. I'm also not sure if he's actually eating his pellets. He'll pick it up and act like he's going to eat it and drop it. Last night it didn't seem like he wanted the pellets so I offered some mashed potatoes just to get him to eat something before putting him to bed. I'm going to check on him in about an hour to see if he's eaten anything on his own in the two hours he's been up.

I feel so bad for him. He's become very clingy and lovey. All he wants is just to be pet and cuddled.

(I called the vet again today and he is not available today... so I scheduled to see him in the morning before work... meaning Pliskin will have to spend the day at the bird store I work at all day which usually stresses him out.)

Is there anything I can do today to maybe help him until he gets to the vet tomorrow?

QP4CAG

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
omg I AM SOOOOO SORRY for your baby....have no fear though....a bout a year 1/2 ago, my roommate woke me up at 'bout 330am holding Ross in his hands saying something was wrong.....Sure enough, somehow he broke the a huge chunck outta his beak!!!!! He wasn't bleeding as badly as i thought, but still....

So off to the vet we go....Doc gave him some pain meds for his discomfort and basically just to offer him nothing but mash foods...Ross being the picky eater i really struggled w/this, so this is what i did....I smashed his pellets up as fine as i could, then soaked them in some apple juice (no sugar added) he took to that GREAT...i gave him mashed potatoes, and everthing else i could mash....bottom line, he survived but i thought i was going to have a panic attack each and every day worrying myself sick if he was ok........I know what your going through....

I recommend you getting him to the vets office asap.....they can give meds for his pain and discomfort. His beak still hasn't completely healed all the way....he doesn't even care, bless his heart......

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Sorry to see Plsikin hurt.

Birds get is squabbles all them time and these accidents happen. If Pisikin were one of mine I would examine him the best I could to determine the damage. Most of the time beak punctures are superficial and the damage minimal. If there was a deep gash I would clean it with a mixture of 5 drops GSE in a cup of water, sterile if you have it. I would also add 3 drops of GSE to his water bowl to keep bacteria to a minimum. Next I would keep a close eye on my bird to make sure he is OK and not in pain. Soft foods for a day or two never hurts. A vet visit is always best and there is peace of mind having a hands on experienced opinion.

I have many surgical scrubs and antiseptics here but reach for the GSE when near the beak, nares, or eyes.

Please keep us posted.

Gary

Last edited:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
:hug8: Get better Pliskin!

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Poor Pliskin. Hope he is feeling better soon.:heart:

carkam

Avenue Veteran
So sorry, I know how you feel! My two do the same thing and he gets little gashes at times and has had a few blood drops, nothing too serious and has been fine! I really have to watch those two!! Gary gave some great info which I will use!! Hope he feels better and you can get him to eat!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

Kiihay

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for all the good wishes and advice~

I don't have any GSE on hand but I'll definitely get it today~ could I find it at a grocery store or at a health store?

He isn't eating much, gave him a bit of scrambled egg which he usually loves but he only ate a few bites and his poop is starting to worry me a bit.

There's three there, obviously the third is just all water. Could it just be from stress?

It's really hard to get a good picture of his wound but he's a nice enough bird to let me hold him like this without any fuss. I tried marking it to kind of show where it is. It almost looks like that 'corner' is injured and... flimsy?

video-2011-06-29-11-50-17.mp4 video by KandyholicKiihay - Photobucket
He's being extra clingy with me as I said. He's always been a loving bird but it seems he's more desperate for that attention and comfort than usual :( poor guy~

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Off to the vet. Do you have any handfeeding formula? I would offer him some in a spoon or a syringe if you have it. It won't hurt his beaky and it's very nutritious. Your vet should have some, but you can order it online.

Ginger

Kiihay

Meeting neighbors
Off to the vet. Do you have any handfeeding formula? I would offer him some in a spoon or a syringe if you have it. It won't hurt his beaky and it's very nutritious. Your vet should have some, but you can order it online.

Ginger
I have an appointment first thing tomorrow morning. And I do actually have some formula left from when I was handfeeding some Quakers for the store I work at so i will definitely give it a try.

Kiihay

Meeting neighbors
Also should I be worried that his beak is so warm???? Whenever I put my nose against it it feels hot to the touch.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
It could be a possibility, if you don't have GSE you can use a couple of drops of Apple Cider Vinegar. Bird beaks can have food on them and when they get into a squabble; if there is blood, some of the other birds food could get into the wound and you could have the beginnings of an infection.

Let us know what happens at the vet.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
The question is how warm is warm, a parrot's normal body temperature is approximately 103-105 degrees. It is very important to keep the wound clean and watch for infection. When you go to the vet you might ask about Silvasorb Gell to put on the wound.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.