• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

P'let laying eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
i don't know if this is the right section for this but my mom's p'let Nugget has started laying eggs.

the first was back in late may..it fell from her hut and broke. second egg was layed last week and fell and broke like the first. the third she layed just last night or early this morning this one is intact and is in her seed dish(dish has no seed in it though) and she sitting on it right now.

i would just like to know how to maybe get her to stop or help her somehow. She is 11 years old and has never layed eggs before. has never layed eggs in the 7 years we've had her till now.

would just like some help/advice to help Nugget

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
leave her with the egg of course....let her sit on it until she abandons..maybe 25-30 days... 12-14hours night time after she abandons the eggs, do not do th is before....shake up her world...change the perches and toys around in the cage, even move the cage to a diff location....limit soft warm foods....also make sure she has enough calcium ie cuttle bone and calci rich foods like broccoli and kale.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Last edited:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
if you haven't already - Get rid of the happy hut - that is the Worst thing for a female - they see it as a nest and it makes them start laying eggs!

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
its not exactly a happy hut...its some fleece drapped over and attched to a perch that she sleeps on but i can remove it.

gave her a cuttlebone and she knawed on it a bit.

i just find it odd that only now is she laying eggs. she's had the perch/hut thing since she was weaned and its never made her nesty or anything the thing that has made her nesty is actually her seed dish. its only this year that shes been nesty and laying eggs

Last edited:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
If it's not an actual hut then it most likely is not the cause, I've not known them to use the ones w/out a bottom as a nest .

It could just be she's now ready. Some females Never lay eggs, Some do later in life, some do it a lot rather they're wanted to by their owners or not

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I agree with Kelli..get rid of the fleece wrapped over the perch..it does c ause nesting behavior.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got my female p'let to stop laying eggs and come out of a broody phase by moving her into a different cage/setup. I don't know if it would work for yours, but it did work for mine. And she did not lay any eggs this year either...

Status
Not open for further replies.