• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Please what to do!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
On the internet you will get many opinions on seizures, please only take advice from a trusted source. Watching a bird have a seizure or stroke is heartbreaking, know what to do at the time is very important. Using glucose and oxygen helps reduce the impact of a seizure but does not provide means to prevent the next one. I understand your frustration of taking your bird to the vet and the chance it may cause a terminal seizure. Even if your vet makes house calls handling your bird when stressed is a worry.

Thank you again for helping your beautiful bird.

Gary

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
I agree with Mercedez, best thing to do is make the room dark, towel her so you can get her in a carrier and get her to the vet. As stated each time she has a seizure it affects the brain a little more each time.

I think it would be kinder to go ahead and bite the bullet and get her to the vet ASAP. You could wake up tomorrow morning and she could be dead, there is no guarantee that not stressing her won't kill her.

I wish you the very best with your beautiful girl.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My tiel, Snuggles, seizes every time we step into the vet's building. And that's even with a cover on his cage to try to calm him/conceal him seeing the building before he goes in. He even seized once at home when he became upset about having to come out of his cage to go to the vet. I backed off, waited a few minutes and he stepped up just fine.

Thankfully, he comes out of the seizure just fine and does not require meds. I know the terror and helplessness you must feel. I wish I had the answer for you. I would try to get someone to the house. Do you know of a vet technician who could draw blood? Only my vet draws blood. I don't know if techs ever do.

I would beg the vet to make an exception. If he refuses, I'd ask him if he knows anybody. If you're on other bird boards and have bird friends, ask them. If you know of reputable bird stores or breeders, ask them. If you belong to a bird club or foundation, ask them. Keep digging.
Lafeber makes is something called Medi-berry, which is basically a Nutriberry with space to put meds.

I don't like the thought of sedatives. I have never used them, and for all I know, they might work, but that would be my very last resort. If your vet won't come out, ask him what you should do when your baby does have a seizure. Ask him to teach you what to do. Also, research why birds go into seizures and prepare as best as a layman can when it happens.

I wish you and your girl the very best of luck. :hug8:You were clever enough to give the bird some Karo. That tells me you can handle this! You can. You can do it.

Last edited:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oooh, I just noticed you're in Jersey. PM Kathie!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What a pretty baby..... I hope you can find an AV who will make a house call......

RucaMonster

Strolling the yard
I appreciate everyone's responses, and I hope I am not offending anyone when I say this. I truly do not want techs coming to my house taking blood.If I am going to let her be in the hands of anyone having a seizure I want it to be a vet so he can see, and I really want it to be the vet I know and personally trust. I have had lots of bad experience with vets in the past and would really just stick with who I know and trust. He does not make house calls and I can't expect him to make an exception for me because then he would have to do it for everyone. Plus he is not in NJ.
I have nothing against techs, I was one myself for a few years before I had to start working from home ( medical issues)

Mercedez
I appreciate your response a lot. I would have probably said the same thing. Why in the world would you want to sedate an elderly bird with issues like this, especially unknown issues. I couldn't agree more! I didn't mean sedate as in put under, I would never! I am still terrified of even a mild sedative which is why I said not sure they will even want to give one with out knowing whats wrong. Huge risk!
What is Avicalm? If its basically the same as rescue remedy I already tried it. Let me know :)
As for asking around to wild life rescues, . . .well HI! I am one which is why I and many other Wildlife rehabbers use this vet and its how I met him. Plus he is very well known in the Avian world and why I knew what to do for her seizure for the most part but I am not a Bird rehabber or expert although I have done my share of wild birds. I do other wildlife and exotics :)
Still waiting on a reply from the vet, emailed him as well a bit ago to make sure he got it and I'll call tomorrow morning if I don't hear from him. I'm hoping he is not on Vaca!

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
It is very unfortunate you bird is so difficult to get to a vet. The poor thing must have had nightmare experiences happen after being removed from her cage. Poor baby. I hope you are able to improve her quality of life. Last year my Meyers parrot died from anesthesia; he had occult kidney failure. It was quite a sudden blow. Hope things go much better for you.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Below is something I saved on my computer. It might be something to ask a vet about. You might want to keep some liquid calcium on hand to orally give her when she has a siezure to see if it helps. If she does have a problem with hypocalcemia supplying good FSL (full spectrum lighting) daily will also help.

Hypocalcemia, and Seizures

When keeping and breeding we focus on supplying proper lighting and calcium sources to the hen. The above is just as important to a male. If lacking, the bird would have problems assimilating calcium and a lack of compensatory mechanisms to maintain serum calcium levels, and an inability to mobilize skeletal calcium. Sometimes this can also appear as a vitamin D3 deficiency. When this happens the bird is very prone to having seizures.

Treatment for hypocalcemia consists of calcium (injectable calcium with phosphorus at time of seizure), D3 (preferably exposure to sunlight or full spectrum lighting) and supportive care such as Sub-Q fluids, which will get the blood levels up, and multivitamin injections (must contain Vitamin A and E)

Another thought at the time for seizures was a malabsorption problem. I found this is partially true. Most greens contain oxalic acid. I didn't know this at the time except for spinach which with the calcium and reactions to oxalic acids form calcium oxalates. Stress causes a sudden increased acidity in the GI tract and also upsets the metabolic balance of fluids in the body. Everything is a chain reaction.

I had some birds that had to have a health inspection. One had a seizure in the vets office. He drew blood to have sent out to a lab. I told him to give a Calphosan shot (calcium and phosphorus) because it had worked in the past for me to bring a bird out of it. At the time I had only thought it to be a malabsorption problem. Blood calcium and phosphorus levels were real low. Similar to what is seen with African Greys which are also prone to hypocalcemia.

At the time I did not know what exactly was the cause. In reality simple capture increases the heart rate that can trigger a hypocalcemic bird into a seizure because there is not enough calcium in the bloodstream. Some mutations such a cinnamon, fallow and lutino, or splits to these mutations tend to have this problem. Heart rate is increased when trying to get a bird out of the cage, or chasing and netting. But if blood was drawn while the bird has a seizure it would show very low blood calcium levels. The quickest way to bring it out of seizure is injectable Calphosan. or orally with a drop of liquid calcium under the tongue. The injectable calcium rapidly gets the blood calcium levels up.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Just checking to see how your beautiful bird is doing today?

Gary

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
I see you are in NJ. My vet Dr. Doolen might be able to help Pet Bird Behavior Consulting He is not board cert. yet but is working on it. I believe he goes to people's houses for behavioral consults so maybe he'd be willing to do a house call. He used to be a full time bird and exotics vet in Oakhurst (near Red Bank) but now he works down near Freehold on weekends only. He was my ferret vet for many years. Now that I no longer have ferrets I take my bird to him and also my dad's birds. He is awesome. If the locations I mentioned are anywhere near you it couldn't hurt to email him to see if he'd do a house call. I know his email and maybe a phone number is on the website I posted above.

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
Oh, I know this isn't a behavioral issues but that's just how my vet's website link comes up lol
I hope your bird feels better soon!

RucaMonster

Strolling the yard
Thanks all for your responses. She has had full spectrum lighting and a decent diet but am going to get a new light and he wants to add some calcium supplements for now.We believe she is wild caught ( as the story is told- plus given her age) He said stressed induced seizures are rarely fatal but given her age and the recent non stressed one he doesn't want to push it. We are going to add some calcium etc and see how it goes. She hasn't had many seizures. Maybe 4 since I got her (2 years) because I had to move her and including transporting her home the first time.
Who knows perhaps she did indeed have a bad dream I don't know.
If I get more worried he'll give me some sedatives to transport her to him. We are currently discussing it.

I do know Dr.Doolan and I think he is a wonderful vet with most exotics but I did have a problem with him giving wrong information to one of my fosters not that long ago ( right before he left Red Bank) so I am a bit hesitant He might be incredibly awesome with birds and very educated, but for now I'd like to just stick with my vet. xoxo

I also wanted to add that lately she has been lunging at me a bit more , I was blaming it on hormones but maybe it has to do with this as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.