• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Please what to do!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RucaMonster

Strolling the yard
Hi Guys
My Scarlet is approx 45 years old give or take , has obviously been neglected or maybe abused in the past.She is a very high anxiety bird with a crooked beak. She has a condition where every time you even try to get her out of her cage ( not on her own terms) she will go into a seizure. The first time we brought her home she went into one fairly bad but then calmed down and was ok until we got home when she had another.The person who I got her from said if she dies before you get home I'll understand but let me know, which probably scared the bageebers out of me! We have had to move twice now ( unexpectedly ). The last move was very hard on her and I really thought it was going to do her in. I've tried rescue remedy but it doesn't work much for her. She's been fine since we moved. She is settled in my bedroom and very content there. She has a window, can come out of her cage when she wants,but usually won't ever attempt to come off of it and is happy to be alone except when she wants my attention of course. She is not hand tame or friendly. She will bite anyone if given the opportunity. Although I can go in and play with her beak occasionally and also give head scratches. She has never had a seizure with out being stressed or us attempting to move her. I've been afraid to take her into a vet because of this reason fearing she will be dead just from trying to help her. Moving her itself is risky and well someone touching her I am afraid it will kill her because she will freak if you even try to touch her and on top of seizure from moving???, I am petrified of this happening! However now I have an issue and am very scared of what to do. Yesterday she started screaming but it was a funny scream so I ran in and asked her what was wrong trying to coddle her as it wasn't normal. She started going into a seizure, if I tried to go and touch her or support so she didn't fall she would get worse and freak more. She held on to the side of the cage and one leg hung off and the other clamped on. My husband was at work and so I didn't even have a car to get her in to drive anywhere and I was afraid it would kill her if I tried. I quickly ran to the kitchen and got Karo syrup as it was the only thing I could think of. I put a small dab on her tongue through the bars and ran out here to see who was open at 2:30 am to see her and who wouldn't kill her and maybe call a cab and call my husband. With in a minute she was normal again and back up on her perch acting like nothing happened. I have been watching her since and all is fine. I'd really like to get her blood done etc but I am petrified if I bring her in it will be my last moments with her.I am at loss as to what to do.Do I attempt killing her to find out if there is another underlying issue? Or do I let her live peacefully?? Also she eats a very good diet but her feathers are still dry and aren't that great looking. Please someone just tell me what I should do. I don't want to kill her but don't want to kill her by not doing anything either. :sad9::sad3:

Also if anyone else who has a bird with this condition, I forgot what the vet said it could be in email, something where they get to excited or nervous and they can't handle it..But if anyone has a bird like this please chime in!! Let me know what you do!!?

Here is a picture of her you can see how crooked her beak is and she is also missing some toes or nails and the one toes goes kinda backwards.:(
This is a crappy picture of her "hide" corner in her cage but I took it so you can see how crappy her feathers are looking too
I thought i mentioned up there but not seeing it, I did contact the vet I trust most and asked what I should do.Waiting for a response.

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I am so sorry you are going through this. I dont have enough experience to give any advice but someone will be along soon with some good advice for you

Lokums

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mike
Call a vet. Tell them your story, if they refuse to give advice over the phone, call another. Really only an avian vet can give you reasonable advice on her issues. It may be worth the risk if the vet can actually do something. Maybe get some medicine that will manage her seizures, who knows.

Mike

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Ah, she is adorable, poor girl. Maybe the vet can give you something to calm her and then bring her in? I don't know if there is any such product but worth asking the vet. Or perhaps the vet will make a home visit.

RucaMonster

Strolling the yard
The vet knows the story, is a very well known Avian Board certified Vet, and I am waiting to hear back from him about what to do now .I can't get her seizure meds with out taking her in though thats the issue. I'm curious as to what he will say and if there is anyone else on this forum who has a bird with this issue. So far tonight she has been normal as can be

HI Parrotluv
thanks she is my special girl. Shes something else. I am hoping he can give me something so that I can bring her in. I know he doesn't do home trips and the other issue is taking her out of her cage will bring on a seizure to begin with so even if they were here, she would have one and then holding her on top of it is what scares me more. : /
I am really hoping I get give her something to knock her out or something! BUt they might not want to do that with out knowing the cause of the recent non stressed seizure.

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
You have a very nice looking bird, thank you for taking her in. There are many complex reasons for seizures in birds and it will take some time, money and testing to try and find the cause. I suggest you talk to your avian vet first about the reasons for them and suggested medications to control them. Some times seizures can be controlled with a combination of diet and herbs. First take a look at the birds diet for the last year and go from there.

Ask your vet for a sedative before taking your bird in for an office visit. See the vet first and come back and give us his report. Make sure you ask questions and take notes during your birds exam. While at the vets ask him about using DMG to help control the seizures, it can be used in conjunction with other seizure medications, do some research. :hug8:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
What a helpless feeling :(
I am so sorry. If you get meds for her, how in the world could you medicate her, hmm.
I wonder what the vet will say.
My macaw went through a period of seizures and it was scary.

There is another vet, that answers emails, Dr. Burkhett (not sure of the spelling). He will answer emails and will do phone consults.

RucaMonster

Strolling the yard
I am actually very aware of DMG as I do wild life rehab occasionally and have used it before for neuros and the like and I believe I actually have some tablets here still in the foil. I understand it will take time and money, the problem is getting her to get the testing with out dying or stroking out on me. If they won't give me anything my fear is her dying before I can even look into helping then I will hate myself for killing her. We are pretty aware of why she gets them but this one is new and was non stress related. The lady who had her before me had her on the same diet. Harrisons, veggies, fruits, grains, nuts and the dry mixes etc and that was well over a year ago and she had her for a few years.The only thing different is I sometimes sprinkle spirulina on the pellets or mixes. This has been a problem before I got her but never a seizure out of the blue for no reason. :(
What herbs might you be talking about I would love to know more.Feel free to PM me :)

RucaMonster

Strolling the yard
What a helpless feeling :(
I am so sorry. If you get meds for her, how in the world could you medicate her, hmm.
I wonder what the vet will say.
My macaw went through a period of seizures and it was scary.

There is another vet, that answers emails, Dr. Burkhett (not sure of the spelling). He will answer emails and will do phone consults.
Actually it probably wouldn't be too hard, she takes treats nicely and I can make something yummy and put the meds in or if its liquid I can squirt a little at a time into her beak when she tries to bite through the cage. ( not enough to choke her) I just hope I can do something and help her soon.

I've worked with this vet before , hes performed surgery on wildlife for me as well as exotics.He will answer me but might not be around tonight.Its actually his personal FB page I sent him a message on so when he is on he w
And would really love to find someone with the same issue! lol

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Seizures use up a lot of energy and the blood sugar of an animals drops alarmingly after a seizure. This may be why the Karo seemed to help her after the seizure. You have a really difficult problem there. Good luck with a solution. I would think a housecall would be easiest for drawing blood. Once he is there then he can decide if he wants to sedate her, but even better, he will see the seizure himself and just seeing the actual seizure will give him a clue as to its cause and origin. There are many different types of seizures.

Sending positive energy and thoughts for healing for you and your bird.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What is her name?Sending healing energy your way. I hope you can find a workable solution.:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I agree, you need to beg t he vet for some kind of sedative to give her before you take her in...If that particular vet will not, t hen beg another and another until you find one that will give you some kind of medication to give her...another thing you can try to calm her somewhat is cammomille tea..just make a cup, let it cool and offer it in her cage..they seem to like it and it has been known to calm birds down abit..many blessings on you for taking this poor girlie into your home and for continuing to try to help her.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
The two vet techs at our vet who also groom our birds nails do make house calls. When I got Chooper and Jade they came to my home to draw the blood and brought it back for testing. Is this a possibility?

If not, I would definitely look into a sedative to take him in. My M2 had seizures about a year ago and turns out it was zinc toxicity....she needed injections daily to help her. The vet tech came each morning to give her the shot and now Nani is better. I know how scary the seizures could be...I was so worried.

I am so sorry you are going through this but I think you need some of those basic tests done...I wish they could come to your home...where in Jersey are you?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks , but he doesn't make house calls :(
Well he needs to make an exception here. Once the situation is explained, he should be able to do that for you. The birds life depends on it. Emphasize that fact.

The cumulative effect of all these seizures are going to take its toll on the bird. Each one is doing a little more permanent damage. Not surprising that he had one "out of the blue" at this point.

Last edited:

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
You have to convince him to do it. If they could sedate her and then bring her in, that would be easier for her. Her life depends on it. I would call every avian vet and explain the situation and one will do it, they just have to. Poor sweetie, I hope things work out for you. Hugs.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Contact local wildlife rescues to find out who they use for their birds.:) Often they have mobile vets who come out to their facility.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Why would you want to sedate an elderly bird who has been having seizures? That is a HUGE risk. At her age and with her seizuring, she may not wake up. Sorry don't mean to scare you, but sedating birds is risky alone, add physical health and overall condition and the risk goes higher.

If you cannot find an avian vet, than look for a mobile exotic vet. And if all else fails TALK to an avian vet about the following first; turn the lights off, towel her, put her in a large dog carrier, and take her to the vets. But talk to the avian vet about pros/cons of moving a skittish older bird that has has seizures.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Mercedez they can prescribe something that will not put her under but be a mild sedative, enough to calm her down so she can be seen.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Well when I saw "sedative" I was thinking anesthesia to make her go under.

If you want her calmed down a bit, avicalm really helps :) Ofcourse like any untame bird, she won't like handling regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.