• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please Share Experience

claudreese

Moving in
Real Name
Claudia
Hi everyone! I made another post similar to this, but on the conure page. In the next year or so I'm hoping to get my own personal bird, so I am in no rush to make a decision. After so much research I am torn between Green Cheek Conures and Peachfaced Lovebirds. On week days I'm typically available 1 hour in the morning, 1 hour in the afternoon, 4ish hours in the evening, and then I am available all weekend. What I'm most looking for in a bird is lots of love, interaction, and that they are willing to play and just sit with me. I guess you could say im looking for a velcro bird, but they would need to be ok with me being gone for hours during the day. I know that each bird as an individual varies, but i would like to here about what it is generally like owning a lovebird. I'm hoping you lovebird owners can weigh in on what you think. Feel free to share comparisons, contrasts, pros and cons, on both lovebirds and green cheeks if you have the experience. Thanks!

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Repost in case other people who don't look at the conure group.

As far as lovebirds go, a male would probably be easier than a female. Female make great pets but can be hormonal monsters. If you want more than one lovebird I suggest all males as females can be territorial and want to kill. Loki is female but a pretty good bird. She has a girlfriend that you will see in the videos that lives in a different house. Daily interaction is me working and her pacing back and forth until I let her out for pets. I work from home and go into the office. She is usually out with me from 4-7 pm and I put her to bed. She sits and snuggles with me while I watch TV during that time with the occasional pets. Weekends all my birds get out of the house time and visits the bird store I volunteer at, been doing that for 7 years. Pretty much whenever I am home, all bird cages are open and when I am in the living room they are on separate play stand and do whatever they want on it. She really is a velcro bird and wants to interact with lots of different birds. I think green cheeks are here 2nd favorite birds, 1st would be other lovebirds. For some reason, she is not very found of cockatiels though.

Here is my youtube channel where I upload all the videos for my avian avenue posts. Think if you hit play all you can see the complete list.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I will note that she is very chatty if she hears birds on TV. Good luck watching anything in peace if they have birds in it like bird box lol. She likes to mimic my friend and give her kisses. She will give other birds kisses but not me! She hates it when I hold electronics and hates when I take pictures/videos of her. Other people are allowed to take pictures/videos with my phone and their phone but if I hold it... not allowed. Most likely jealous my hand is holding it rather than petting her.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
. If you want more than one lovebird I suggest all males as females can be territorial and want to kill.
In my opinion, two lovebirds are great companions and it is possible to be included in that relationship in some way. Don´t try to put two birds together yourself though, bring home an already bonded pair, sex is not too important apart from the elephant in the room which is of course eggs and the hormonal behaviours associated with that. I have two males that will go head to head if given the chance.
So many of us have tried to bond our birds to a second bird and failed.
Two bonded rescue birds would be the best chance of success as they are monogamous. Young birds may bond but break the bond once they sexually mature.

While you are at work/away. leave plenty of toys and foraging opportunities in the large cage for your bird (that goes for any bird really).

They truly are wonderful birds. They are usually overlooked by new bird owners because of their bad reputation, which is a shame. If you research and look after them well, you will have a good chance of a happy relationship.
Common mistakes such as small cages, lack of toys (stimulation), over two birds in one cage, housing non bonded birds, leaving nest boxes up for no reason, lack of sleep etc will result in unhappy, stressed birds and a terrible relationship with the human.

If you have any questions please post them and we will do our best to answer them :)
Life with lovebirds in my home means, never a dull moment!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I would say two females have a higher chance of hating each other than two males. Like you said if they are bonded it wont matter. But you definitely do not wanted bonded male and female pair that are siblings.

claudreese

Moving in
Real Name
Claudia
I would love to see pictures of your lovebird cage setups if you have any pics on hand :) Were lovebirds your first birds, or have you had others?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I also post videos of my birds, here Not all my birds are as snuggly as Brians Loki

But you definitely do not wanted bonded male and female pair that are siblings.
How come?

I would love to see pictures of your lovebird cage setups if you have any pics on hand
I hjave a whole thread for mine, here´s the link Pictures - Lovebird cage setup
They look a bit different now, it´s due an update. I took more pics today :)

Were lovebirds your first birds, or have you had others?
Lovebirds are my only birds. Brian has others :)
@Leih owns both a lovebird and a (black capped) conure also.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don't have the smaller cage for Sydney anymore, he is in here now,
Screenshot_20200130_220719.jpg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just realised I posted something conflicting,
There´s a nest box in the picture because Sydney now lives with Adelie and she had eggs so she got the box. The eggs have since been removed after she abandoned them and the box is now facing the other way.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I find my conure to be more demanding, he'd love to be on me all day. My lovebird is pretty cuddly but also very independent. Both make me laugh every day. I think I have a stronger bond with my lovebird, but I can't really say why. It may have to do with how she was completely untamed when I got her and we worked for months to get to know each other. My conure was a baby and was already comfortable being handled. If you get two birds then you can rest assured that while you're away they'll keep each other company. I think a lot depends on what you put in to the relationship with the bird, you really can't choose a "wrong" species, although a cockatoo seems to be right for a very small, very patient group of people.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Well you dont want bonded siblings of the opposite sex for the obvious reason. Lots of people art comfortable are not comfortable aborting the eggs and some thing it's okay for them to have babies.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
man lots of typos in that last one. Lots of people are not comfortable aborting eggs and some think its okay for them to have babies. I realize some breeders may do that on purpose for specific reasons but lets leave that to the professionals.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I would love to see pictures of your lovebird cage setups if you have any pics on hand :) Were lovebirds your first birds, or have you had others?
Had cockatiles, umbrella cockatoo, yellow nape, african grey and sun conures growing up in that order. Mostly my dad's birds but I took care of em. Loki is my newest bird. I just have her and 2 sun conures now.
20190331_152217.jpg

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I also post videos of my birds, here Not all my birds are as snuggly as Brians Loki

How come?

I hjave a whole thread for mine, here´s the link Pictures - Lovebird cage setup
They look a bit different now, it´s due an update. I took more pics today :)

Lovebirds are my only birds. Brian has others :)
@Leih owns both a lovebird and a (black capped) conure also.
Your Lovebirds are SO cute!! I love my Kiwee so much!! I just hate that he plucks now and fusses with his skin. Yesterday I had to stay home from work because he broke a blood feather that I had to keep an eye on all evening. He is such a happy little bird and I take very good care of him, really hoping my avian vet in Tucson can help him out. I actually just made a new post asking for advise on the rescue I plan to bring home this summer. Can you read it and offer your opinion too? Basically, I had my heart set on trying to care for a larger parrot but now am having second thoughts because I want to keep my little guys safe...