• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Admin Note: for further info on this vendor please refer to this thread Vendor Etiquette? | Page 21 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I want to caution everyone to use due diligence when you are purchasing parrot food. I didn’t do my homework before purchasing from a new supplier and I have now compromised the standards I have always maintained with regards to my parrot’s diet.

If I had looked into the product prior to placing and receiving several orders, what I needed to know to make an informed decision beforehand was in plain sight.

I have since viewed several Facebook pictures that show a generic store brand (Walmart Great Value) nonorganic powdered peanut butter on the food preparation counter where a person is preparing food. I was led to believe that this ingredient in the food was organic because it is listed as such on the website for many of the products.

I then viewed pictures that the food was being prepared in an unfinished cellar (basement). There’s a lot of detail to be seen in those pictures. You, of course, will make up your own mind. I have my own thoughts on cellars, dampness, open duct work, waste lines and such, that I know I don’t want my parrot’s food prepared in one. I do better and I expect better.

I am being very careful to not disparage (as per the rules) and I am only pointing out the facts that were posted in pictures for us to see. The facts are in plain view for anyone to see by looking at the photos on the Unapproved Vendor’s Dailies Facebook site(s) and the many pages on their website that state that the powdered peanut butter used in their products is organic.

I should have seen all this beforehand. It was a costly lesson, but it could’ve been worse. Besides compromising the standards, I set for my birds’ diet, I am out hundreds of dollars for food that went into the garbage. I have cancelled my remaining 2 orders and am in the process of trying to get a refund.

My post may not be a popular one considering what seems to be a very popular product on this forum at this time. But I am perfectly fine standing alone to post this cautionary reminder and to let those know who may be contemplating an order to view the photos, read the ingredients (and know what they are) and then make your own informed decision. I can say if I had viewed these pictures beforehand, my decision would have been different. When dealing with a new supplier, take a minute to look around, ask around, look for reviews. Read Facebook, Instagram and Blogs because sometimes things aren’t always as they seem at first glance.

Last edited by a moderator:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you Karen. I for one appreciate your post. Fortunately I ran the ingredients by Dr. Crean for my flock, and he said not to buy the ones with peanut butter. So that part, I dodged a bullet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am a neutral party about this, but I do follow them on Facebook as well and I know what photos you are referring to. I am in no way saying you don't have valid concerns. I can't really comment on the ingredients as they have removed peanut butter from their recipes so hard to go back and see if it was listed as organic previously, and they just set up a new office this week. That of course doesn't address your concerns from the time period in which you ordered your food, however.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Just a word about organic. It is very, very difficult to purchase 100% organic for a complex mixture of ingredients such a bird pellets, bread mixes, cookies etc. Even the big boys such as Harrison's and LaFeber and Roudybush cannot source 100% organic and they let you know right on the package.

For me organic is not an issue, but I know that many of the owners are very loyal to organic products and it is important to you.

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
I've never used this vendor. I did want to comment on the kitchen in the photos. It looks clean, there is no standing water, no mold/mildew. Commercial kitchen counters & appliances. I've worked in a lot of commercial kitchens & know there are worse out there. I can't speak to how its maintained, but a person that went to the trouble to set this up would probably maintain it properly. I'm curious, OP, did you contact the vendor privately & address these issues? I know we're super paranoid about our birds, it seems the whole world is out to kill them :O I also know that its hard for small businesses to get off the ground & hate to see them damaged w/bad PR. I do mean unsubstantiated PR.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I did see that they are moving locations. A basement isn't ideal but to me it looks fine. And I think that they even posted photos of their kitchen speaks to transparency. Everyone is different, however, in what they consider acceptable, which is totally cool. I refuse to use store bought household cleaners which some people may find crazy. (I use vinegar and castile soap) but that's my choice. :)

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I've also worked in commercial kitchens and don't see anything wrong. Looks very clean and organized. As for organic/unorganic goes, that's a personal preference but I respect it. If they were untruthful about what was in their stuff then yes that's a big deal.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Did I miss something? Why are they no longer allowed to post?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
What happened? Seems like only a minute ago she and her products were very popular here.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I truly don’t believe that my post is an attack in any way. The pictures speak for themselves, it’s a cellar and the PB powder is not organic. Some people will like that, some people won’t.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I did not read your post as an attack either, @Karen . You are voicing concerns that others may have. Most of us had no idea there was a question of safety or being mislead. I haven't made up my mind yet on my take on it. I was not aware until just 20 minutes ago that Unapproved Vendor's had been banned from AA.

We all have the right to make well informed decisions about what we give our flock. I don't think that is drama.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also correct me if I am wrong, but the fact that she is working on a refund right now from Unapproved Vendor's implies that she has in fact made her concerns known to Marsha.

Status
Not open for further replies.