• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent PLEASE PRAY FOR MY BABY NIKKI - having emergency procedure

JMC822

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
Well, I really thought Nikki was out of the woods. It has been two weeks since her wing amputation surgery (she had a large tumor on her wing) and she has done beautifully. I took her in for a recheck and the vet found something concerning.

Last week she gave me some cream to put on what appeared to be a scab toward the back of the stump (not on the incision). When she checked today she realized it was bone sticking out. I had to leave Nikki at the clinic so that she could close up that area with the skin.

She told me that she would not be fully under anesthesia as she was during the procedure. So cardiac arrest is less likely to happy. She will be given something like valium.

I am very upset because I seriously did not see this coming. I am very worried. I am worried that she won't be able to handle another procedure. And if she does come out of the procedure, I worry that this would not have been successful and that she would need more surgery.

She believes that this issue may have come about due to when they had to revive her from having had a cardiac arrest.

I really can't say that I understand all this stuff I just know it needs to be taken care of because if it doesn't get taken care of, she will get an infection and it would also affect her respiratory system.

lease keep her in your thoughts and prayers. I am seriously a wreck right now.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope the surgery will be successful and that will be the last one so she can start her road to recovery. I’m so sorry you both have to go through all this!
:sadhug2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sending prayers.

JMC822

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
Well, she is out and seems to be fine. They are observing her for a couple more hours but told me that I could get her at 4pm.

I was crying though. I really just want this all behind us. She has to get a recheck next week. I am just hoping this heals fine and she can get a break from seeing the vet every week.

She is back on Gabapentin for pain management and is also on an antibiotic.

The vet is hopeful but can't guarantee that this will remedy the citation. She shaved the bone down and close the skin around it. Hopefully itwill heal okay. I really don't want any more surgery for her. How much stress can a little birdy take?

Anyway, here's to hoping and praying that she will be out of the woods.