• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please please help

Shelly1630

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
I just went in to feed my 2 week old baby kakariki and to my horror I'd found she had somehow fallen into the container of water I have in her brooder for humidity.
She's really cold. Squaking and has her wings held wide
I have her wrapped and trying to warm but I don't know what I'm doing
Please help

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
@Shelly1630

How deep was the water?

Try to get the bird as warm as possible, this could mean holding him/her against your chest, or increasing the temp on the brooder. Make sure it is dark, as the chicks at that point would still have amother over them. Im assuming the baby may have gotten water in the nares or mouth and asirated trying to get out. You will have to be on the lookout for signs of distress in the coming days.

Your baby will likely recover (depending on how long they were submergered). This is why they say to never have open water in a brooder, only container with a damp paper towel inside- changed daily to prevent bacterial overgrowth.

Shelly1630

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks for your response.
I have her warmed now to where she is warm to the touch (she was cold at first).
She was feet first in the water her head wasn't submerged at the point where I discovered her anyway.
She has since taken a feed, is now sleeping but breathing normally etc.
This has been a nightmare, I feel so guilty. And yes the container of water is gone. I will replace with a damp cloth etc

Shelly1630

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Could you advise me on what signs of distress I could expect so I know what to be aware of.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Signs that something is wrong can be anything that is not of her normal. Some examples;

-loss of appetite (Not accepting formula)
-cold to the touch
-shakes
-sounds she hasn´t made before
-sneezes
-discharge from the nares
-different skin colour
-lack of movement
-breathing open beaked
-lack of poop/odd poops
and so on.

I hope she will be ok.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
@Zara is spot on- Just anything that is not the 'norm'. @Shelly1630
That can be different for every bird. But with my Elegantes (very similar to the Kak), I had one assistant who aspirated the young one. I didnt notice till the baby was open mouth breathing and almost a weezing sound (from the fluid that caused inflammation, which I assumed was a completely separate cause at the time), I started the baby on antibiotics assuming it was some sort of respiratory infection.

It took my assistant a few days to finally admit it, but by that time I had to put the chick in an oxygen chamber and administer an additional anti fungal. I know this sounds scary- but the chick did survive. It just took quick action at the first signs of illness. So dont be paranoid (at every breath), and dont worry yourself too much to a panic. Stay calm, diligent and educated :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Prayers up for baby.

Shelly1630

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
She seems ok at moment.
She's warm to touch, took last feed as normal and is not displaying any strange signs yet.
I'm truly devasted. I have her in a large brooder. The water was way over the other side, she had never attempted to wonder from her usual little spot before.
I really hope she will be ok. She was feet first in it and her head was not submurged when I found her but I'm really not sure how long between the 2 feeds she was In it

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She seems ok at moment.
She's warm to touch, took last feed as normal and is not displaying any strange signs yet.
I'm truly devasted. I have her in a large brooder. The water was way over the other side, she had never attempted to wonder from her usual little spot before.
I really hope she will be ok. She was feet first in it and her head was not submurged when I found her but I'm really not sure how long between the 2 feeds she was In it
Hindsight is 20/20. You need to concentrate on what you can do now. Birds feed off our emotions so remain calm.

Right now, all you can do is just monitor.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
She seems ok at moment.
Please attach a photo of the brooder and how you are keeping the temperature for the brooder.

Shelly1630

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Please attach a photo of the brooder and how you are keeping the temperature for the brooder.
Not at home ATM. But her brooder is homemade.... Heat pad under approx 1/3, digital thermometer attached to inside