• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please keep my sweet little cloud in your thoughts

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Oh Zara, I am so sorry that this happened. And you are right, no matter how great we think we are as bird and pet owners, we aren't perfect!

Life is about room for error, it happens sometimes. The GOOD thing is, you caught this and he's on his way to healing! That is commendable, seeking a Vet as you did.

Hugs to you and healing to the wee little one. :rockby:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Aww @Zara you did nothing wrong. You don't handle every one of your birds every day, do you?

He'll be fine just relax and take care of him.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You don't handle every one of your birds every day, do you?
I do. It is rare that I don´t (If I´m in the UK, or in Cadiz).
He looked fine yesterday, acting normal etc. If I´d have looked beneath the feathers I would have spotted it sooner. But Nube doesn´t like scritches or being stroked, so I never noticed.

He'll be fine just relax and take care of him.
Yes, I´m sure he´ll be ok :) Just sad seing him looking for his girlfriend at bedtime :(
I just covered them for the night.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He’s such a little cutie.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oww no poor little Nube! I wish him a very speedy recovery, and I hope he can be with his girl again soon :hug4: Thankfully he has such a great mom to spot it soon enough:) I have a weak spot for him, seeing him just makes my heart melt, such a sweet look and such beautiful feathers. Good thoughts to you both!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Poor Nube and poor you!!! So glad you saw it when you did, them feathers can really hide so much. I hope everything heals up well and fast.
:hug8:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
There's not really much I can say beyond what's already been said @Zara. Thankfully you seem to have spotted this in good time and I wish Nube a speedy recovery.
I'm no good at the mushy stuff just don't worry about us and the forum, we all know what your priority is now. Give him a hug from me.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
He’s so adorable and I’m sure he’ll recover quickly.
When I first brought Bowser home it was a constant game of beating myself up over was I doing enough physical therapy? Not enough? Too much pushing? Too light? :scared5:

But you’re a genuine, caring person and this little one is one lucky bird to share your home. :bighug:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Nube got hurt. Hope he heals quickly.
I've had to split up all of the birds who were caged together because they started fighting with and hurting one another.
I felt bad about it because most of the time they got along just fine and liked being together but wasn't going to take a chance and keep them together.
Better to be safe than sorry.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He is adorable. I agree with all the others that you're great at bird ownership.

We do the best we can. That's all we can do.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I´m so sad.
I never claim to be a perfect bird owner, honestly I don´t think such thing exists. We all make mistakes, we all have things we regret. Even after all these year of birdkeeping, thinking I was doing ok, I find I have let one of my birds down. And I am so disappointed in myself.
I could quite easily not post about this online, but I feel I should share what has happened so that others know that things like this really do happen to us all.

I took Nube out of his cage this morning, and immediately saw something was not right. A few feathers sticking out, in a very odd position, and dark stains in two places behind him at the tops of his wings. I took him to the spare bathroom and turned on the tap, he did not want to bathe. I held him in my hand and as I moved the feathers, I was horrified. He had some sort of lesion, I could just see the dark almost black site, looked like dried blood around it. I could not tell if this was plucked feathers or a bite or what. I did not look at the other side, there was no point. I put him in his carrier and drove to the hospital.
Not thinking of appointments, I knocked on the door, there was a poster stuck to it informing that an appointment is neccessary.
Luckily, the side window opened and the avian vet poked his head out when I told him what was going on, he took the carrier in, and took a look. Nube was really good for him, and didnt seem too frightened. He has two wounds, one side is infected. The vet showed me the injuries, and there was no bleeding or weeping, but I could see the yellow where it was infected.
I don´t know when these injuries appeared/occurred, but they clearly weren´t done today. And I did not notice. I just wish I had seen this sooner.

The vet sprayed (I think an aneasthetic? or antiseptic) on the areas. Nube has an antifungal, an antiinflamitory drop to take (the vet gave him a dose while there), and an antibiotic too. We have an appointment next week to follow up. If Nube doesn´t stop picking at the sites, he will need a collar fitted.
I asked what the cause could have been, whether he thought this was all Nube or was this Lapis that did this to him. Vet cannot confirm.
I told him I saw Lapis attack Nube yesterday, which I broke up in a second. And that she had had 4 (plastic) eggs until a week ago.

Either way, they have been split up. And it is so saddening to see them apart for the first time in their lives. They have never been an hour without being by each others side before.
They are in the breeder cage with the divider in. Unfortunately it is very small, but this is not permenant.
Lapis is angry and lashing out.. she is completely unapproachable right now.

I hope he recovers soon and does not need a collar fitted.
This is just a horrible situation both physically and mentally for him.
I am so sorry. Hopefully he gets better soon. Don't forget, they hide illnesses or injuries. You are a great bird Mom

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry he got injured, and I’m sure he will make a quick recovery with your wonderful care.
:hug8:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He took his 3 medicines well this morning. Though I got a bit of the anti fungal on him and it stained him a little bit yellow, though it seems to be disappearing.
Tonight I will wipe that syringe after filling it before feeding it.
He´s had a nice flight session, some millet, sat with me a while and now he´s back in his cage playing with the birdbrush (? paintbrush?) toy from Kazoo bird :)