• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyndaquil143

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE
His foot is a little swollen and pink colored. There's days where pus is noticable, and days where it isn't. His longer toe also doesn't curl around when he perched, it just stays straight.
I have found a vet where I can take him, and do plan on making a visit to check out how much they'll charge me.
To me, he acts normal. He's eating and drinking like a normal bird would. He isn't very vocal, and he looks like this a lot during the day: 418300_510408222309506_503487681_n.jpg
He is able to climb up on his perches, clumsily, but he does, and sometimes he just stays at the bottom of his cage. He walks with a little limp, as you can see in this video: He also stretches his wings, and stretches out his legs. He acts pretty normal. And I say that because of our other cockatiel who is in nearly great health.
I've had him for two weeks now. We bought him injured, and we told the guy and he said he'd be okay. But of course, it remained the same.
He does clean it here and then.
If its an infection, which it probably is, would it spread to other parts of his little body?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
it could have...I am very glad you have him now and are taking him to the vet..it is not normal for a bird to stay on the bottom of his cage all fluffed up..poor little guy....please keep us posted and let us know how he does

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
here is your video

cyndaquil143

Real Name
ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE
Here are some pictures of his injury.
Under: IMG_1424[1].jpg
Top: IMG_1428[1].jpg
I also noticed that he was too busy biting the towel, and I saw petting him on the head. He didn't really mind me petting him. Is that good?? So that means he doesn't like to be grabbed that way?? Please tell me I'm correct. I was able to trail my finger down his crest and even scratch his forehead a little bit.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Cyndi, it definitely looks infected. I believe he can't bend his toe because of the swelling. Could it spread throughout his body? Yes. It could also infect the bone and cause him to loose the toe or even the foot. I would definitely take him to the vet. In the meantime, clean it with the hydrogen peroxide or betadine and put some Neosporin on it until you can get him in.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Definitely looks like it could be bumblefoot, which will just get worse. Time for a vet. :(

cyndaquil143

Real Name
ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE
I'm definitely thinking about taking him in tomorrow. Just waiting for my Mom's reply. Thanks so much for feed back and get wells. Will for sure keep you all updated.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Oh, ouch. Poor little guy. :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Please do not try to push him to do anything extra at this time. He may be biting because he is in pain.:(

cyndaquil143

Real Name
ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE
Please do not try to push him to do anything extra at this time. He may be biting because he is in pain.:(
I will definitely not be doing any training with Mouse (not sure if I should call Mouse he or a she now). I will most likely just talk through the cage. I don't wanna stress Mouse out more than Mouse is. I feel really bad for my baby. ):

LauraLovelyness

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
Cyndi told me to update you guys - The vet for birds isn't at the Animal Hospital that is close by to her. So her mom wants to go back to where she got Mouse from. He promised her that he / she would be okay and it's already been two weeks and she bought the bird like that. She told me to let you all know that She wants whats best for Mouse at this moment. Her mom told her he might give her another bird and take the injured one back and hopefully get Mouse some treatment! I will be keeping everyone updated as I receive text messages from her. So please keep Mouse in your thoughts :)

LauraLovelyness

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
Well Cyndi told me / showed me she got a new cockatiel Mouse The Second. She had no other choice she said she would have lost him... :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The seller will euthanize Mouse more than likely. It's cheaper than vet care. That's a shame. Cyndi may have been Mouse's only chance...:(:(:(

Didomum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Diana
The seller will euthanize Mouse more than likely. It's cheaper than vet care. That's a shame. Cyndi may have been Mouse's only chance...:(:(:(
Oh! Not always. There's a lot of good people out there still.

LauraLovelyness

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
No she told me that he was placed in a quaratine cage and said the owner said he is going to try and heal him and that he will keep Cyndi updated.

cyndaquil143

Real Name
ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE
Oh no. He's a good person. Amazing animal lover and he'll do whatever he can. But then again, no animal should suffer, so if he can't be helped, it probably would be best to put him down so tht he doesn't suffer anymore. He'll be happy in the great wide wilderness in the sky.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
We bought him injured, and we told the guy and he said he'd be okay.
You two are very naive..no offense. I am telling you this person would never have sold an injured unfriendly bird to a young person, or any person for that matter if he was a 'good person'..:mad:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The bird has now spent three weeks, possibly more, untreated and suffering. There is no excuse for this.

Last edited:

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I agree with Carole :( I would try to get him back and get to an avian vet ASAP. If your mom won't let you, convince her with more chores and say you'll make up the money with chores and jobs that you can do. If the man could've treated him, I believe he would have done so before he went to a home if he is really as caring as you say. I would be very skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.