• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

LauraLovelyness

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
My friend Cyndi has a cockatiel named Mouse that she has had for about a week now maybe two weeks and she noticed that he has a cut on his left foot that has puss coming out of it. She is un-able to right now to get to a vet and wanted me to post if someone can offer her advice on what to do until she can get to a vet.

Thanks
Laura

Didomum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Diana
Bath it in warm water and aloe. BUT if it has puff she needs to get it to a vet right a way. It's not some thing that should be left IMOP.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would suggest a paste made with cayenne pepper. It has natural antibiotic and healing properties. The bird really should see an avian vet though.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Cayenne powder and a little water.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Is the bird eating and acting normal otherwise? Not puffed up?

LauraLovelyness

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
Yes he is eating and acting normal just favors the foot I'll ask if he is puffed up

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Perhaps there is a clinic that costs less? All she needs is an antibiotic and a syringe to administer it. Some vets will give an antifungal along with antibiotic. The cayenne paste will also kill any pain. It does not burn as one would think. Good luck to her.:hug8:

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wishing him well soon :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
hope he gets better soon....she should ask around to see if vets will take payments..he needs to go in for sure.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Since the cut does have puss I would suggest her trying to get him into the vets as soon as she can because she doesn't want that infection spreading and making it get worse. In the meantime I think the Cayenne Pepper is a good idea. Good Luck!

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
It could be bumblefoot...is it on the top or bottom of the foot? Bumblefoot would need antibiotics and a epsom salt bath daily to help heal it...it can be a tricky thing to get rid of once it gets infected, so definitely have her see an avian vet as soon as she can.

LauraLovelyness

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
What is bumble foot? The cut is on top of his foot like where the leg bone and the feet connect and thanks everyone I am telling her all of this !!!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I agree that because of the pus, the little one should see a vet in case he needs an anti-biotic.

My Grey is rather clumsy due to her blindness and I deal with little foot cuts every couple of months or so. Until your friend can get him to the vet, wash it with warm water, then apply hydrogen peroxide or betadine solution. Then some Neosporin cream after it's all clean. If you catch these things quickly, using the HP or Beta and then applying the Neosporin can take care of the problem. I use the Neosporin once or twice a day for 3 or 4 days. Probably a good idea for all us parronts to have these things on hand for minor cuts and scrapes.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Bumblefoot would be on the bottom. It is a bacterial infection, it often comes from improper perches. It starts out as a wear spot, and can get deep into the tissue and compromise the bone.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
There also is Care Credit you can use if money is the reason she isnt going to the vet. I wouldnt recommend home remedies at this point, when pus is in the wound it has obviously gotten to a serious point. Please stress the importance of getting vet care asap. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.