• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help.

XII28

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa
My female cockatiel has been laying eggs, I bought her fake eggs to try make her stop. She has laid 3 so far. She just flew onto my head 20 minutes ago and laid something on me which appears to be a very broken, almost soggy egg? A yellow/orange liquid has came out of it. I have attached photos.

Is this a concern?

Attachments

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What is her diet like? Thin shells indicate a lack of calcium, which can lead to egg-binding and even shells breaking inside the bird.

If she is getting pellets, then you should consult with a vet because pellets do contain calcium and she may not be absorbing it.

If she is eating seeds, then I would supplement in the short term and work on getting her to accept pellets as a component of her diet n the long term. I personally prefer calcium and vitamin D powder dusted onto fresh food as it's a more reliable way of ensuring the bird gets the required amount. I don't find birds drink enough for dosing in water to be effective.

XII28

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa
What is her diet like? Thin shells indicate a lack of calcium, which can lead to egg-binding and even shells breaking inside the bird.

If she is getting pellets, then you should consult with a vet because pellets do contain calcium and she may not be absorbing it.

If she is eating seeds, then I would supplement in the short term and work on getting her to accept pellets as a component of her diet n the long term. I personally prefer calcium and vitamin D powder dusted onto fresh food as it's a more reliable way of ensuring the bird gets the required amount. I don't find birds drink enough for dosing in water to be effective.
Hi, the past week she has been eating less as she was sitting on the eggs a lot. I was told not to disturb her doing this & she would lose interest herself. I was also told if I took away the eggs she may lay more eggs. So I bought fake ones. Other than this, her diet has been good, she is a picky eater, she will eat broccoli off my plate and loves her seeds, I also give her fruit but she's incredibly picky.

Could you send me a link to the calcium & vitamin d powder?

XII28

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa
Also i tried to give her cuttlebone but she has no interest in it. She has a calcium perch though in her cage & she has been chewing on that off and on

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd use this, but I don't know if it's available where you live

Nutrobal

If you give your country, other members may be able to advise.

As I understand it, cuttlebone and calcium perches are not great sources of bioavailable calcium - this means that the mineral is poorly absorbed by the bird's digestive system. They're better for keeping the bird's beak and nails trim.

XII28

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa
I'd use this, but I don't know if it's available where you live

Nutrobal

If you give your country, other members may be able to advise.

As I understand it, cuttlebone and calcium perches are not great sources of bioavailable calcium - this means that the mineral is poorly absorbed by the bird's digestive system. They're better for keeping the bird's beak and nails trim.
I'm from the UK - united kingdom.

I made a vet appointment to get her checked out because I'm a little worried about her now. She isn't showing any signs that she is ill or anything, but I checked her stomach/chest last night. When I pressed a little into her belly area I felt something hard and it went up as a solid line - whatever it was that was hard inside her. Is this normal? I'm not sure what I'm pressing on.

This is my first bird so I'm just trying to make sure she is in good health, I've had her for 2 years now.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can buy Nutrobal direct from the site. It's a UK company founded by Peter Scott and based in Winchester.

It sounds like you felt her keelbone. This can be used as a guide to weight and condition.

1667486445295.png

Do you have an avian vet?

XII28

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa
I do have an avian vet, she's only been once to get her nails clipped and a check-up. He told me they can get very stressed out if they aren't used to being handled, which she isn't. But I plan on taking her tomorrow since she has been laying eggs and getting her checked out just to make sure she's in good health.

Also thank you so much for the information, It's really helpful. Another quick question, is pellets for cockatiels better than the seeds?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I do have an avian vet, she's only been once to get her nails clipped and a check-up. He told me they can get very stressed out if they aren't used to being handled, which she isn't. But I plan on taking her tomorrow since she has been laying eggs and getting her checked out just to make sure she's in good health.

Also thank you so much for the information, It's really helpful. Another quick question, is pellets for cockatiels better than the seeds?
Glad you are getting her a check up just in case. Cockatiels should get a mix of seeds and pellets, along with fresh foods. The recommended ratio of consumed seeds to pellets varies, but aiming for 50/50 is a good plan.