• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please HELP!!

LolaCabana

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tonya Gardner
I’m new here, and brand new to bird ownership. I live in Northern Maine and the closest avian vet is 3-hrs away and unable to see us because we are not established as a patient. I brought Lola (Hahn”s Macaw) home on Saturday from Pittsburgh. She is 5-months old and was slow to wean, otherwise a healthy little bird. On Sunday afternoon, around 3p-4p she started to twitch/spasm, almost like a hiccup. She seemed comfortable enough so I let it go as stress. Yesterday, at the same time of day, Lola was in clear distress. She was lethargic, heavy breathing with periods of not breathing, head bobbing. I thought she was dying. But then perked up a bit and ate like a horse. I also gave her some sugar water. Everything seemed to calm down and she slept through the night. I woke to a happy little bird ready to eat some breakfast. Then at 3pm today the whole episode started again, not as severe, but worrisome. We ate and took some sugar water again. She seems more comfortable but is still having occasional body spasms, and chirps with them. Her nasal openings look a bit red and she has been sneezing but I have two dogs and pollen is crazy. During the episode she eats, drinks, talks, and was bathing herself today. Its chaotic and noisy at my house, does anyone think she could be using up all her excess glucose/energy and becoming hypoglycemic by 3pm? Or maybe hypocalcemia? I am desperate to save Lola”s life.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you by any chance have footage of what you’re seeing?
If you are new to birds you very well could be misinterpreting some fairly normal things they do, I’m not saying you are, it’s just a thought- my son once told me in a mad panic that my bird was choking on something but it was simply crop readjusting he had witnessed.

I would be very careful giving sugar water without vet direction to do so or definite indication your bird needs electrolytes

Hopefully more local (to you) members will chime in and give more vet options- it’s very important to have one you can see

Photos of the nares would be helpful if you can get them.
Any chance the air might be
dry?

@Hankmacaw @Mizzely

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
We can't diagnose your bird over the internet, just give you guidance in line with our knowledge and experience. She could be merely adjusting an uncomfortable crop and of course it could be something more serious

You should not be giving her sugar water. Sugar is not good for birds and is only given to them when they are on death's door as a last attempt. Plain water would be ok. Since she seems to recover quickly and seems normal afterwards, I suspect that what is going on is a normal function. Take a look at what you are feeding her and try to determine if something is catching in her throat.

If it continues or gets worse you will need to take her to a vet.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Pictures or video would be extremely helpful. No sugar water please try this human pre made Pedialyte 50% to 50% boiled water and only if directed by veterinarian.
If you are hand-feeding what formula?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is she eating solid foods well on her own?

One thing that often happens is babies regress in a new home and want feedings, either comfort or otherwise. I wonder if the spasms could be baby begging? Sometimes they look quite crazy when they want something!

But it's just so hard to know without seeing it.