• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The easiest way to do this that I can think of, that would be cheap & you could do yourself, would be as follows:

• Put one of those perches that go across the length of the cage half way up & in the middle of the cage. It will help reinforce the ‘floor’.
  • If you don’t have such a perch, get a dowel from a home improvement/ craft/ hardware store that fits between your bar spacing & is somewhat longer than the cage.
  • Get some corroplast (corrugated plastic, cheap & easily found at home improvement or hardware stores). This will be the ‘floor’.
  • Punch holes in the corroplast around the edges. This material isn’t stiff, so it should be safe for you to do so.
  • Use zip ties, also from a home improvement/ hardware store, to affix the floor to the edges of the cage, ‘sitting’ on the perch/ dowel.
I just invented this, so others may have better ideas. But I can see a minor successfully doing this without help & with limited resources. That said, I don’t know you, so if you need help, get it. And remember: measure twice, cut once. :)

Edited to add: If you’re not handy, show this to your parent/ guardian. I think they’ll get what I mean & how to do it.

Last edited:

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
The easiest way to do this that I can think of, that would be cheap & you could do yourself, would be as follows:

• Put one of those perches that go across the length of the cage half way up & in the middle of the cage. It will help reinforce the ‘floor’.
  • If you don’t have such a perch, get a dowel from a home improvement/ craft/ hardware store that fits between your bar spacing & is somewhat longer than the cage.
  • Get some corroplast (corrugated plastic, cheap & easily found at home improvement or hardware stores). This will be the ‘floor’.
  • Punch holes in the corroplast around the edges. This material isn’t stiff, so it should be safe for you to do so.
  • Use zip ties, also from a home improvement/ hardware store, to affix the floor to the edges of the cage, ‘sitting’ on the perch/ dowel.
I just invented this, so others may have better ideas. But I can see a minor successfully doing this without help & with limited resources. That said, I don’t know you, so if you need help, get it. And remember: measure twice, cut once. :)

Edited to add: If you’re not handy, show this to your parent/ guardian. I think they’ll get what I mean & how to do it.
Thank you, I will show this to my parents and do you think the layout of the birds I said is fine?

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
Also if anyone knows of anymore ways to divide the cage, that would be great!!!:)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think the division of birds you describe would be fine. You could use two notched dowel rods that run the length of the cage and use PVC window screen material to stretch across them. I've folded the edges of window screen and sewn a pocket (tube if you will) on each edge, pushed pvc pipe through them to make a room divider. For a cage, I would sew tubes to accommodate long dowel rods and use that to stretch the screening across the cage--blocking the top half from the bottom half. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I can draw a picture later if it would help.

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
My parents aren't willing to divide the cage...
. How do I convince them?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m not sure. Perhaps you could look for cheap, used cages.

My cages aren’t divided. I invented that idea for you.

If I were you, I’d rehome them.

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
UPDATE: Okay so after a few days of the female babies being together, they started fighting. I separated them in boxes for the time being but I was able to convince my parents to get them all separate cages. So now the two males will be together and the females will all have their own cage.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I honk this is a good idea. You’ll not have future fights or babies.