• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
My female budgie was being aggressive so I placed her in a small cage next to the others. Today I had to place her son in that cage with her because he was getting aggressive with the females. While doing this, she got excited and froze in a mating posture. I though she was having a seizure but she NEVER had one before. Please help I took a video i even tried touching her during this time but she wasn't moving. Here is video:

Attachments

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How was he being aggressive with his siblings? How old are they now? Can you post a video of this happening? Did you ever post a photo of their cage?
We want to remove the boy from mum's cage as she will get aggressive with him. But to do this we need to sort the situation in the other cage first.

Last edited:

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
she has always been fine with him and loves him. He was getting aggressive and tried to mate with one of his siblings but she didn't like it so he fought her. But he knows how to act with the mom.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it were me, I would try to see if the clutch mates could be separated by sex into two different cages: males and females. An aggressive male and female together would be concerning to me because of the aggression and because they will mate. Offspring from birds that close in relation will have endless problems and shorter lifespans due to inbreeding. At 11 months, the clutch mates are sexually mature in budgies terms.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I would agree with Kassiani and Ripshod. I would remove the boy from the cage and separate males and females into separate cages. If the aggressive female needs to still be by herself I would keep her in her own separate cage too. So three cages to separate them if possible would probably be best. Also, have you taken any of them to the vet? It might be a good idea to take at least the female that you thought might have had a seizure to the vet, just to make sure everything is okay.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
At 11 months, the clutch mates are sexually mature in budgies terms.
This. Remove the son from mum's cage. You do not want them breeding!!

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
my parents won't allow me to get another cage for them :(

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
I wish I could rehome the babies but I don't want them going to bad homes.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
my parents won't allow me to get another cage for them :(
Is there perhaps a way to put a screened divider into the cage? Is it big enough for that? If you have a flight cage, that might work until you can work out something more permanent for the clutch mates.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A divider is a good idea, space permitting. I’ve seen some flight cages divided with an upstairs & a downstairs very successfully.

You could also slowly rehome them. Half my budgies are rehomes, & they’re well cared for & loved. No need to take the first offer. Otherwise, you run the risk of becoming a bad home yourself, however well meaning, if you can’t meet their needs/ they start inbreeding/ they’re overcrowded. My local humane society also accepts budgies & they screen adopters very well.

I’m sorry you’re in this predicament.

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
I just wish there was a good bird owner near me that would that would take them in. :( It's really stressful with school.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there a parrot rescue near you? If you have an avian vet for the budgies, perhaps you could ask if they have any suggestions. If it were me, I would divide that cage top and bottom. Midway up could be one set, and midway down the other. Once a screen was in place, you could put paper over the screen for the top half to keep the upper flock from pooping on the bottom flock.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And fyi, budgies are going to squabble. It doesn't mean that they are going to kill each other. My two boys will squabble over food, toys, perches, because it's Tuesday....

If they were being truly violent (drawing blood, pulling feathers out), then I would be very concerned.

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
I'll try to convince my parents to get a cage or divide the cage.

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
Is there something you guys would use to divide the cage, not very sure what to use to divide. And if I plan on dividing, the top half would be 4 females (the babies), the bottom would be 2 males (the father and son), and the small cage I have would be the aggressive female? I'm just scared that if I divide the cage, what I use will fall on the birds at the bottom.