• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help!

TMS9539

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Terri
One of my canaries is sick. I noticed in the last week or so that she was losing some feathers around her neck, mostly under her beak - not a lot, but I could tell. Today she had diarrhea and her stool was an odd reddish/brown color. Not bright red like bloody, more like a red clay color. She was still acting like a canary - flying around and eating. Tonight she is sleeping on one of the lower perches, which she has never ever done. I wish I had taken her to the vet but by the time I called they were closed. Now I'm afraid it's too late. Is there anything I can do for her?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m sorry your baby doesn’t feel good. Did you by chance change her pellet food to a red or brown color?

OK so now she doesn’t feel well. She needs 2 things. 1. Warmth and 2. Vitamins or electrolytes.

For heat the very best thing is a ceramic bulb over one end of the cage - so she can get out from under it if she gets too hot. Those are at the pet stores. If you can’t do a heater, try at least putting a heating pad under the cage, or setting it in the warmest part of your house.

For electrolytes I like products like Thrive by Morning Bird .... there’s another one and I can never think of the name. If you don’t have those, you can get pedialyte in the baby aisle at the grocery store. Dilute it by half at least! Don’t use it full strength.
And if you ccan’t get that, you can make your own. I’ll dig out the recipe in a minute.

Try to keep her quiet and un-stressed. Don’t keep checking on her if it bothers her.

TMS9539

Real Name
Terri
Thank you so much. The stores are closed so I can't get a ceramic bulb tonight, but I've made the house very warm and have set up extra space heaters in the room where the birds are (not blowing directly on the birds). I got some Pedialyte and will follow your advise on diluting, and I've ordered the Thrive. Going forward I need to make sure I have these things on hand. It's much too warm in the house for me, but it's worth it if it helps her. Really hoping she makes it. I am ridiculously attached to my little birds. I'll post an update tomorrow.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Wish you good luck! Lets hope all turns out well! So, i have something which translates to “grapesugar” which provides high energy, i keep it at hand for sick birds, but also during cold weather, or generally any time a bird could use some extra tender loving care.. always good to have in your first aid kid!

TMS9539

Real Name
Terri
Hi. I just remembered that I never posted an update. Marigold is alive and doing well. I think she may have eaten too many canned carrots. I took her to the vet the next week and they think her feather loss is hormonal and will resolve itself at the next molt. By the time we went to the vet the diarrhea had resolved. I now have a ceramic bulb over the cage and she likes that.