• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
So Nebula is blind and she contact calls all day long. It's really starting to get on my nerves. :mad2: Any suggestions?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Is she alone in a cage? I don't have any good advice, but a friend would help if she doesn't have one. Poor bird; it must be so hard and scary for her to be blind. Calling seems like her only option.

Aves

Is she alone in a cage? I don't have any good advice, but a friend would help if she doesn't have one. Poor bird; it must be so hard and scary for her to be blind. Calling seems like her only option.
Valkyrie is with her in the cage.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Alot of us wear earplugs. You can listen to music to blend it in. Try not to focus on it as once you do it seems to get worse. Try to occupy yourself with things you like to do to take your mind off of it.

You can also try to set up the cage to make transitions to perches easier & make sure food & water is easily accessible & keep them in the same place so she knows where they are & can get to them.

Aves

Alot of us wear earplugs. You can listen to music to blend it in. Try not to focus on it as once you do it seems to get worse. Try to occupy yourself with things you like to do to take your mind off of it.

You can also try to set up the cage to make transitions to perches easier & make sure food & water is easily accessible & keep them in the same place so she knows where they are & can get to them.
Thank you! I will do that!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Valkyrie is with her in the cage.
That's great.

I taught my CAG to use a whistle to call to me, so that might be worth trying so that the sound is less abrasive than a regular bird call, but I realize comparing a CAG and budgie's mimicry might not be fair.

It might be worth you regularly proactively talking to her throughout the day, especially when you're moving around, so she knows where you're at and maybe can learn a schedule and calm down a little. My CAG and both of my dogs understand when I tell them I'm preparing to leave the house, or, when I'm going to the basement to do laundry. They remember key words.

Maybe play soft music or talk radio near her cage as well.

I don't have any personal experience; just throwing out ideas. Good luck.

BirdWorld

Awww poor thing. Does Valkyrie call back? You'd think that would calm her down, hearing her friend. :shrug:

BirdWorld

Hmm... Good idea, but I don't think it'll work. :thumbsup:
Well you don't have to sound like a bird obviously, just make a bit of noise so she acknowledges you're there, as with the music :)
You could also play a video of budgies on YouTube.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I play classical all the time for my birds but if she likes smooth jazz thats great too. Play something you like as it will ease all your minds. Quiet in bird world is scary as they thing they are being preyed upon. The jungle gets quiet when a predator is about so as not to be noticed so quiet can mean danger.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Another thought, she is blind, shes scared. Let her know you are aound, get a small bell and let her know the sound is you. Ring the bell, say something shes know and always praise her when she responds. You are her eyes now and she needs all the comfort you can give her.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I just barely put on some relaxing jazz and she calmed down! :laugh:

Hmm... Good idea, but I don't think it'll work. :thumbsup:
That's great! You're doing a great job! It's commendable that you are reaching out and learning how to help your blind budgie. Don't give up on her or yourself!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Was she hatched without sight?

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Maybe music, or if your other birds aren’t calling back you could play bird sounds from YouTube. Good luck!