• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

emilyn0503

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Emily
My Sun Conure’s name is Ava, she is about 10 months old. When we got her she did not have her flight feathers and has just started to regain her flight feathers.
Tonight, I started putting my birds away leaving Ava to be the last. She frantically flew around the room and flew into the wall and hit the counter before flying up again and taking off into the other wall where she fell to the ground.

Ever since, she has not been able to move her legs what so ever. For the first hour... she had deep ragged breathing, but still has full control of her head neck and wings. Due to the coronavirus I have not been working and am not able to afford a visit to the Avian Vet. I am so incredibly frightened that my Ava is in pain or could be disabled for the rest of her life.
It has been two hours since the incident with no movement in her legs. I have kept her in a dark room with no draft, no too cold and not too warm. I’ve been allowing her to rest away from the other birds while keeping my eye on her. She has been sleeping most of the time since it happened but I have been worried sick.
Has anyone had this happen? Any type of information or insight would be greatly appreciated. I will be calling my vet in the morning to see if I can work something out.

Photos below of her a hour after the incident!

Attachments

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
First.. do you have a container you can turn into like a brooder.. it can be a see through plastic storage bin, cover the top with the grate from the cage and you can cover half of the top and sides with a towel. Only a vet will be able to diagnose if your bird is suffering from a concussion. It does sound like it since she has no mobility of her feet and is unresponsive. Yes, keep her in a very quiet darker room with the temperature around 70 degrees fahrenheit. I say this from this article I just looked at. I'm including the link for you to read it's entirety and looks to be very sound advice. Inside the container I would put a folded towel covered with some paper towels to keep her nails from getting snagged in the towel should she start to move about. Two bowls, one with water and the other later with soft foods to see if she will eat if she's gained any mobility. If she's still out of it you can leave the food out. If she has no swallowing reflexes don't try to get her to drink. You can fold part of the towel up on one side to place her so she can lean against it. She may not regain any balance for a few days but first things first... she does need to be seen and medications that a vet will determine after examining her. Given what all of America is going through I'm sure a vet will work with you... just call and take her as soon as possible.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How was Enigma's cockatiel injured? Was it a concussion? Maybe we should tag..
Yeah that's pretty much exactly what happened to Kev. Unfortunately I really don't think there's a substitute for a vet in this case though, mine was and continues to be pretty astonished that she didn't die.

I second the idea of contacting a vet and seeing if they'll work with you, especially given these extraordinary times. This bird needs to be on anti inflammatory meds asap. Beyond that, really good supportive care like @Mockinbirdiva already described. I can tell you more about my experiences later (sorry I have to run to work right now) but if you can get her on anti inflammatory meds today, that will be really crucial.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can try to get a Care Credit line of credit - it works well.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
By the way, I think this is probably a spinal cord injury rather than a concussion. Paralysis in head injury would not be immediate or bilateral like that.
Thank you for taking the time to respond before going to work... have a great and SAFE day!

emilyn0503

Real Name
Emily
hello to all, thank you for all of your advice. today, ava was taken into our Avian Vet. She does have some brain swelling which is causing her brain to not communicate with her legs. She was given anti-inflammatory and still has feeling in her legs. We will be doing physical therapy once every hour into she begins making a recovery!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for the update, I hope she has a fast recovery.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
@emilyn0503 great news! Keep working those little legs :) I am happy he will recover.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Awesome that you were able to take her to the vet, and I hope she recovers quickly!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
hello to all, thank you for all of your advice. today, ava was taken into our Avian Vet. She does have some brain swelling which is causing her brain to not communicate with her legs. She was given anti-inflammatory and still has feeling in her legs. We will be doing physical therapy once every hour into she begins making a recovery!
Thanks for the update Emily. I've been wondering about her today and how your vet visit went. I'm glad you took her as soon as you could. It was the best thing you could do for a higher chance at recovery. I had tagged a member @enigma731 to chime in as well about Ava. Their cockatiel Kevin had an injury similar to your bird and they'll be able to help guide you through recovery for Ava. List the name of the anti-inflammatory given and give us updates on her progress as much as you can. Your updates will be beneficial to others who may experience the same type of injury. Any detailed information you can provide from the vet on how Ava's care and treatment going forward could make a difference for a positive outcome for the next bird and guide any other owner going through the same.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You did great getting her to the vet and getting the meds! That's the most important thing you could have done. I'll post my threads on Kev below, and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have too. She's not quite two years out from her injury now (it happened in August 2018) and she does have a permanent disability in terms of her ability to grip and balance, BUT she also has a very good quality of life. I hope Ava has a full recovery, but even if she doesn't, she WILL get better than she is now and you should be able to adapt things for her to function well. I'll be sending you both good thoughts.

emilyn0503

Real Name
Emily
hello again! i just wanted to post a picture of what all the vet did while ava was being seen. she was given an anti inflammatory and two xrays to make sure there was no fractures. i am very grateful, as the vet believes she has a chance to recover and live a good life. thank you to everyone who has helped me and i wish everyone safe and happy days!

Attachments