• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help!

Sex Ideas?

• Male

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Female

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unsure/ Not enough information

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Trinketd

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Camden Riggs
Hello! I am currently having some problems with my cockatiel, Piper. We are currently unsure of Piper's sex so I will be using male pronouns when I mention him due to how we think he is a boy.

First Issue: What sex is Piper?
- I have had Piper for little over a year now. The breeder we got him from said he was a female but we are not sure. He has not been DNA tested yet so we are just looking for ideas right now (his sex is important, I will mention why soon). He has normal markings for a cockatiel, no variations. A typical cockatiel coloring. He bangs his beak on stuff, screeches, whistles, and is very talkative. I will add some pictures of him soon to help. However, he is still very small. Do you guys have any idea?

Second Issue: Behavior Problems
- Piper was adopted/rescued from an irresponsible breeder. He was kept in a dark basement with around 100 other birds. Conditions were musty and cramped. The man sold us Piper for $60 and sent us on our way. Piper was handled aggressively by the man when he was putting him in his travel box. Piper now has developed a sort of anxiety disorder due to all of this childhood trauma. He is scared of everything. He never really experienced anything other than a basement and the company of other birds. Anything that is new terrifies him. He is scared of hands, fingers, flat surfaces, new people, weird heights, fruits, vegetables, and etc. It makes it really hard to make him happy. He has only bonded to me and still doesn't even like my hands. He does step up though and seek attention from me. He can get very aggressive and needy as well. Also, due to him only being on perches in a cramped space when he was young, has has trouble walking on flat surfaces. Any way I can help him learn to trust new things? His anxiety is beginning to worry me because now he can't even eat some of his diet due to his fear.

Last Issue: Company...?
- I am off at school for half of my day and I am beginning to wonder if Piper should get a friend to keep him company. His cage is large enough for about three cockatiels to roam happily and freely and it feels strange for him to be alone in such a big cage. He has plenty of toys and things to do but I worry that since he has bad anxiety he might need a friend to help calm him down. He grew up in constant company of other birds and I don't want him do get depressed due to how now he is alone. I have the space and care for another bird. Plus, his friend hopefully could be a rescue as well since my family runs a rescue-esc thing in our own home. We always adopt animals in need and we would love to help another bird. However, with is anxiety issues and undetermined sex, is this a good idea? I dont want his anxiety to go through the roof from a new bird but there is the possiblity that company would help him calm down. If I get another tiel I am worried about the possibility of accidental breeding and we do NOT want to put anymore birds into the world when so many need rescued already. And we dont know if getting a different breed of bird would be bad since cockatiels tend to get bullied by other birds and Piper has enough trauma already. Would a lovebird or GCC work? I know they are aggressive sometimes and have larger beaks but I dont want to get a budgie and have Piper bully it. I am at a loss right now. I just want Piper to be happy.

I have enough resources and care to help him, I just need some help from you guys in the form of advice. Ive worked with anxious mustangs, sick pigs, and aggressive peacocks. I have the experience to help. I hope you guys can offer some well needed advice. Thank you.

Abigale

Real Name
Abigale
I think You should get another bird, But not yet. Know his gender and the new birds gender for sure before you do anything. If you dont want them to breed, Of course. As me being a owner of a GCC, They are very lovely birds. And very cuddly. I dont know much about birds you rescue, I got mine while i still had to handfeed it. So it trusts me alot. I think a GCC Would be a lovely friend to piper, But dont put them in the same cage for about 2 or 3 days. If you adopt it handfed it will trust you right away. So try to play with the GCC Around piper, To see he can trust the GCC, Because you do. Have a good day! :D

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
GCC as a friend for a cockatiel is a terrible idea. GCCs are generally bossy and high strung, while tiels are more calm and laid back. The two personalities do not mix, and someone will inevitably get hurt. Generally, if you want a friend for a bird, it's best to get the same species. Breeding can be prevented by simply boiling the eggs. @Monica can help you out with the sex of the cockatiel. Alternatively, you can do a DNA test for less than $20 depending on where you live.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That's a boy! You could get another boy, so theres no eggs. You know the drill, quarantine, slow introduction, boys can bond...they would be like brothers,, :):slapfight::bluhug::pinksmile::heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's super cute. I know a year seems like a long time, but it's not really. A lot of tiels are skittish of new things and you just have to take things slow and work at his pace. :) I would have to introduce new toys to my tiel very slowly. But eventually he grew more confident- but still took awhile to get used to new things in his cage.

Abigale

Real Name
Abigale
GCC as a friend for a cockatiel is a terrible idea. GCCs are generally bossy and high strung, while tiels are more calm and laid back. The two personalities do not mix, and someone will inevitably get hurt. Generally, if you want a friend for a bird, it's best to get the same species. Breeding can be prevented by simply boiling the eggs. @Monica can help you out with the sex of the cockatiel. Alternatively, you can do a DNA test for less than $20 depending on where you live.
I highly disagree with this, The birds are the complete opposite. Cockatiels are VERY loud, And very needy. GCCs are very quiet, simple birds and very affectionate. And DNA tests can harm the bird.

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
It's difficult to tell the sex from a photo, but I'd guess male. Thank you for resuming Piper from such a horrible sounding place. It looks like you're doing a great thing to help him feel secure by keeping 3 sides of his cage covered with a sheet.
Give piper plenty of time to adjust to his new home, and to you. Talk to him, read to him, sing to him....and get him used to your hand by placing it on his cage and holding it still fir 5-15 minutes, then moving it to another side of his cage, and repeating until you've done all sides of his cage. After doing this daily for about a week, start placing your hand inside his cage on all sides like before.
Try offering him treats thru the cage after he seems comfortable with your hand on the outside.
Let him set the pace, take time to let him start to trust you. I wouldn't rush to get another bird. He will make friends with the other bird, and may never learn to be your friend. But if at some point you do get another bird, I'd suggest another tiel.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
However, he is still very small.
What do you mean by very small?

He is scared of hands, fingers, flat surfaces, new people, weird heights, fruits, vegetables, and etc.
Treats. Lots and lots of treats! Millet is usually a favorite of cockatiels. It may help to have some white noise playing in the background, maybe try blocking view of window so things outside don't startle him (if they do).

However, with is anxiety issues and undetermined sex, is this a good idea?
Speaking from experience, having a calmer bird around can indeed help a more anxious bird to relax. However, a new bird will need it's own cage and both should be health checked by a vet to ensure they are healthy before even considering introducing them. If they get along well enough to cage together, then great! If not, keep them in separate cages.

Would a lovebird or GCC work?
Definitely no to a lovebird and a green cheek might be a better fit, but your best bet would be another cockatiel. Find another male that's friendly and calm.

I know they are aggressive sometimes and have larger beaks but I dont want to get a budgie and have Piper bully it.
All 3 possible species you mentioned are smaller than cockatiels. All 3 have the potential to pick on a cockatiel! Trust me, even a budgie would harass a cockatiel! It's possible, and I've done it before with budgies and cockatiels, but considering this situation I would honestly recommend another cockatiel.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
All 3 possible species you mentioned are smaller than cockatiels. All 3 have the potential to pick on a cockatiel! Trust me, even a budgie would harass a cockatiel! It's possible, and I've done it before with budgies and cockatiels, but considering this situation I wouldhonestly recommend another cockatiel
@Monica knows her stuff..

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
It looks like a boy to me too. If it has no barring on the underside of the tail feathers, it being a normal grey as it seems, then you can be almost 100% sure it is a boy.

You can harmlessly DNA test with a shed down feather from him if you like:

Bird Sexing | Avian DNA | Parrot Gender Testing

Seeing how he's perched already on your hand I'd say he's tame enough to get him a cockatiel cage mate. He'll likely get more chatty and happier with a cockatiel cage mate so be prepared. Expect him to have less interest in you though. That's how bonding works. As long as they are tame enough to take in and out of their cage that's the main thing. If you have interest in teaching tricks that is easier to do for a bird that is alone and wants pleasant interactions like they naturally evolved to have in the wild because they have more motive to try and figure out how to learn to get a special food treat from you.