• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Please help with some advice for weaning baby sun conure

Will my bird ever be fully weaned?

• Total voters

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
Hey so I just got a baby sun conure about 3 weeks ago that has been weaned but still begs for formula especially in the morning. She's about a little over 4 months old and from what I've heard I'm scared she can turn to be one of those birds that's always need formula. I've been handfeeding her once in the morning and once before I go to sleep bcs she acts like she really needs it . Also she'll eat seeds but when I feed her formula her belly becomes full but when she's done eating seeds her belly feels empty, is that normal??? I also heard that by 9-12 weeks they should be only eating seeds so I really need some help. She also still doesn't know how to use her hands to hold food, is that normal and if yes when will she learn? Thankss bye the picture of her is her begging for formula

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Sorry you're having problems. I have heard birds wanting or being given formula after they been weaned and being fine afterwards. But I'm no expert. But there are people here who know a lot more this than I do. :) Its just the forum tends to be a bit dead this time of night. I find the forum is most active during the day over North America. So may take a little time before a better answer comes along

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
Also another thing is when I give her formula I give it to hr until she's doesn't want anymore

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm scared she can turn to be one of those birds that's always need formula.
I never heard that their was that kind of birds. Yes some still wants comfort feeding, but that's not the same thing.
Are you sure she gets the right amount of food? Have you been hand feeding before?

Rivka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rivka
@Eloy yeah that's not really the problem. I've heard that some birds always want to be babied so they can't survive without formula. Is she at a normal age to still be needing some formula or no?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've never heard of a parrot that didn't eventually wean. You should give yours hand feeding as long as she wants it - that is called abundance weaning and by doing that you will avoid a number of behavior and emotional issues.

One thing that might help the weaning process is to feed her a better variety of food. Now days it is considered best to feed a bird fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, pellets and few or no seeds. Harrison's, Roudybush and lafebers are the best pellets. If those aren't available read the ingredients and avoid any sugars.

Keep asking questions as they occur to you.