• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please help with my egg laying baby,

ChanceLove

Moving in
Real Name
Jay
Chance is in her 20's. She has been laying eggs. I'm stupid and thought you were supposed to take them, that's what I did 6 years ago when she laid eggs for the first time. This must be her reproductive time, one of those memories on Google photos popped up today with a picture of her first egg. She has laid 6 or 7. She's been eating and drinking and chasing people away from her "nest" (Chance has an aggressive personality sometimes. She wants newcomers to know she's the boss, so the aggression is normal) just fine until two days ago. I can only get her to eat her favorite foods. Her poop looks like the color of egg yolks. She only pooped twice on her spot today, little ones. One poop in her nesting area :( So she moved her and the eggs some. Shes going to a vet in the morning. If she needs to shes going to an animal hospital tonight. To pay for that I'd have to pawn my mom's jewelry, so I dont want to if I dont have to, but if it saves her life I'd sell it all. She actually ate today though, not her Zupreem but her seeds (she loves them, usually a treat not a meal but who cares) She loves bread so I soak her bread in water for her. I sent someone to the store for powerade for her. Shes moving around. I touched around her butt, there's a small spot the size of a quarter that's kinda soft? But I honestly dont know what I'm looking for. There's bubbles in her poop. I've read that means bacteria. I've been grinding up cuttlebone for her everyday. Mixing it with a little peanut butter and a probiotic (she loves it) Is my baby egg bound? She does seem to be straining. Should I give her amtyl in case its peritonitis? I think it's one of the two. What can I do for her? Shes still laying on her eggs. When I came in the living room she came to me, shes walking fine but appears to be tired. She sits on her eggs mostly. Yesterday I had Male company, she bowed up and came down the hall to check things out. Should I take it as a good sign if she feels fit enough to "fight"? Shes barely vocalizing. It's like she tries but the sound wont come out. I have a good vet, years ago our African Grey had a giant egg in her, they saved her life. And barely even charged my mom. They're good people, and shes been there before, so less stress. But if she needs the animal hospital she can go now. Help!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
How often is she laying them? Have you written this down? Is she due to lay another today or tomorrow? Weight checks are also good when you have a laying hen.

Always in doubt is yes, vet. Especially if you are really worried. Don't try to feel anything, it's not going to happen. Walking without strain is good. Eating some is good. Laying hens poop much less because they don't want to move from the nest. Often because they hold it it can become unformed and smelly but I'm not an expert in this. I just have a few egg layers.

@melissasparrots ummm @finchly ?

I suggest at your appointment you get a depo shot for her. Enough is enough.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She has laid 6 or 7.
Has she laid 7 consecutive eggs this reproductive season? If so, she more than likely needs a shot of calcium. Cuttlebone is not a good source for calcium. Is she currently sitting on all 7 eggs?

I can only get her to eat her favorite foods. Her poop looks like the color of egg yolks. She only pooped twice on her spot today, little ones.
Usually they will hold poop and you will see a larger volume when they do leave their sitting duties to evacuate. The smaller dropping amount is worrisome. Droppings can be messy when they hold it but usually you don’t get a huge color change. Do you put the food and water dishes right next to her?

Shes going to a vet in the morning. If she needs to shes going to an animal hospital tonight.
Is it possible for you to call your vet this evening and discuss what’s going on so that they can be prepared for your arrival? They also would be able to advise whether this is something that needs immediate care or if it can wait a few hours until the morning.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Be sure to dilute the Powerade. Lots of water is good. I never can feel the eggs in them either. Don’t do what you see on the Internet, people say “help” the egg out, this is very dangerous.

Calling your vet is a good idea. That way you don’t have to worry all night.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm no expert on egg laying - @Macawnutz and @macawpower58 are much more knowledgeable.

How often is she straining and are they strong strains? Is she making any noise when she strains? Is there any blood in her poop? When was her last egg layed?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm no expert on egg laying - @Macawnutz and @macawpower58 are much more knowledgeable.
Macawpower? Like Chaos? :laugh: Just wondering if that tag is right.

You want to push food and water. I know I've heard of warm water bathes helping but I think we are still trying to determine if she is eggbound, right?
Lay of the floor and feed her anything she would like. Maybe try her pellets soaked in warm water. Nice warm food might entice her.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Steam helps too, like run the shower a long time and keep her in the bathroom.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The yolk colored poop worries me. Its hard to say if the emergency vet would be worth it. Around here, they are only competent with dogs and cats and would probably just charge me large amounts of money and stress out my bird. You'll just have to make a judgement call regarding the emergency vet. If you decide to keep her at home, I'd keep things a little dark, just a bit warmer than usual with easy access to favorite foods and water. I'd mostly leave her alone other than just checking on her frequently. Then I'd show up first thing in the morning at the regular vet. I'd be in the parking lot before they open. You might also try calling your regular vet to see if they have an on call person that is experienced with birds. Sorry, I can't help you much. Thankfully, I have not had much in the line of egg laying problems with my parrots.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Me too @melissasparrots. I have had very bad experiences with emergency vets. Be there at your regular vet in the morning and go in as an emergency.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I get there before they open and go in through the employee door, so they have no choice but to take me!

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It''s normal for a hen to hold poop when sitting on eggs. The straining could be she has another egg in her. She needs liquid calcium which you can get from the vet. They use up a lot of calcium growing eggs. Lack of calcium is not good & can lead to health issues, weak bones, etc.

I'd try to get her to eat what ever she will right now. Soft mashed foods like sweet potatoes.

Yolk colored poop doesn't sound too good. She should have an x-ray to see if she has a broken egg inside or
peritonitis.

Read more at: Egg Yolk Peritonitis in Birds - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Do not remove any eggs. Let her set on them as long as she wants. Normal is 26 days. Keep her more in the dark right now. Look into buying fake eggs. My U2 is sitting on 1 real egg & 3 fake eggs right now. DummyEggs.com, Dummy Eggs Help Stop Egg Laying in Pet Birds! Fake Eggs, Solid Plastic Eggs in all sizes.

Talk to your vet about making payments. Many will work with you. Hopefully you won't have to pawn your Mom's jewelry.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sorry I forgot this, but Care Credit is a good solution for paying for medical care for your bird. Please look here and apply.

Please keep us informed as to how your girl is doing.