• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please Help - Wild Baby Bird Australia

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Hey guys,

A couple of days ago, we found one of my cats near a baby bird and took it in. I called a wildlife rescue and sent them photos, and the person I spoke to said the bird was a noisy miner.

Now, my first instinct was to take it to a vet but the thing is, my mum hates taking wild animals to the vet because every time we do, they put it down without trying to save the animal. The person I spoke to from the rescue told me the bird wasn't native to Australia, and so the vet would be even more likely to put it down. The rescue couldn't come pick it up, and every other rescue in my area is only for things like releasing trapped animals or removing snakes from properties. Now the thing is, when I looked it up, it said the noisy miner is native to Australia. So now I'm also questioning if the boy I spoke to correctly identified the bird in the first place?

I don't feel comfortable taking in a wild bird and trying to raise it in our home because I have no idea what kind of care goes into such a thing. Who will teach it to fly and forage for food and to be a bird? Will it ever make it out to the wild or will it have to live with us forever? I will feel more comfortable in doing this, however, if I have some more knowledge regarding wild bird care.

Please, if anyone here has any knowledge or experience on wild birds in Australia and how to raise them, I need all the help I can get. Right now my biggest concerns are: what species is this bird? how old is it? what does it eat, how much does it eat and how often should I be feeding it?

Please don't tell me to take it to the vet, that is unfortunately not an option right now.

Attachments

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
...Do you guys have european starlings down there?

Looking up noisy miner chicks, I'd say that is absolutely not what you have... I'm not terribly well versed in what birds are in australia, but that looks an awful lot like a starling.

Throw some soaked cat food, applesauce, and boiled egg in a blender to feed him. This site has more thorough info: Baby Starling Care: precise information on caring for wild baby birds

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Thanks so much for your response! Unfortunately I don't think that's the bird as I don't ever see them in our are. The birds around our house look more like this? Im not sure if it's this exact species but they're plain brown with some colour variation

Attachments

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Thanks so much! I'll check it out and see how I go
The information I linked will still help you. Wild bird rehab centers use much the same for feeding their insectivorous and omnivorous birds.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
They are in Australia I believe.
Yes, @Shezbug is an Australian :) Australia has states and either territories or provinces I forget which. So I'm sure she means which area in Australia is she in :) But since USA is often referred to as simply the States I can see the confusion :)

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Yes, @Shezbug is an Australian :) Australia has states and either territories or provinces I forget which. So I'm sure she means which area in Australia is she in :) But since USA is often referred to as simply the States I can see the confusion :)
Ohhh i thought for some reason @Shezbug was in USA.