• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help why is she doing this?

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Hello everyone.

One of my female Lovebirds Kiya has started to pluck the feathers on her legs and area right above her leg. Literally nothing changed, diet is the same, the environment is the same, the routine is the same etc. Her husband and cage mate is not plucking nor are any of my other lovebirds that are living next to her. So I don't think it is any sort of bug or mites.

Can someone please help and suggest to me steps I could take to make her stop. It was not a gradual pluck etheir, one day when I uncovered their cages I noticed she had the bare spot where she plucked her feathers, the night before she was completely fine.

Could it be caused by her not laying eggs or breeding and maybe wanting to? I haven't put a nest box in her cage for about a year or so now. Before she came to me she was being bred (assumingly once or twice a year).

Help please!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
First thing to do is to rule out any medical issues. Since it happened so suddenly I think I'd lean more to it being medical than behavioral. But only going to a vet will you be able to have a better idea.

Here's a good article Feather Destructive Behavior – World Parrot Trust WP

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hormones will cause a hen to pluck somewhat and especially if they are egg layers. It should clear up when the hormones subside for the season.
Could it be caused by her not laying eggs or breeding and maybe wanting to?
If she wanted to lay an egg she would whether there was a mate or not. If she is a solitary bird she would be lonely especially after living with other birds before. Stress.

MahaSarah

Real Name
Maha
Hi Sarah, is there anything else besides medical issues? I will make an appointment with my vet just to make sure.

John, she is not a solitary bird. She has a cage mate and there are 5 other birds that are around her 24/7 so she chirps to them as well.

So maybe hormone related?

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hi Sarah, is there anything else besides medical issues? I will make an appointment with my vet just to make sure.
It could be behavioral. As John says it could be hormonal. There are lots different behavioral reasons why she could be plucking, can be hard to pin point the reason why. A little side note lovebirds seem to be more prone to plucking than other smaller species of bird. I don't know why, but we have a few members with lovebirds that have plucking issues. So you're not alone with this problem :bluhug:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
It could be diet too.

MahaSarah

Real Name
Maha
Her diet, routine, and environment are literally the same. And she is only plucking in that specific area. So I am stumped as to what is the cause. Is there anything I can do to help her stop plucking? Any foods I can give, specific toys I can give to distract her, etc?

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
There are toys that are supposed to mimic preening behavior for pluckers and overpreeners. They are usually fleece or cotton rope toys. I can't say I know too much about them. Just that you especially have check on them often to make sure they aren't frayed too much or pose any other safety issue. I think it depends on the individual bird whether they're helpful or not