• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 PLEASE HELP (URGENT) BABY BUDGIES IN DISTRESS

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Did you already call PDSA?

edit; I just want to add at this point, that i know it is hard finding help sometimes. I was also in your position calling up charities, orgs and vets searching for help. I know it´s tough having people say ¨no¨ , but I did finally find someone willing to help me when others wouldn´t. You live in a big city, there will be someone, I´m sure of it.
Ok thank you. I already called PDSA and they said they don’t help with exotics?

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Did you already call PDSA?

edit; I just want to add at this point, that i know it is hard finding help sometimes. I was also in your position calling up charities, orgs and vets searching for help. I know it´s tough having people say ¨no¨ , but I did finally find someone willing to help me when others wouldn´t. You live in a big city, there will be someone, I´m sure of it.
I called the RSPCA and they advised calling Animal Trust. I called them and they also rejected me and said to call a different vet which had already said no to me. Yes, it is very hard

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I already called PDSA and they said they don’t help with exotics?
Ask them for a vet you can contact. they may not deal directly with birds, but they will know who you can call. Manchester is one of the biggest cities in the north.
Try going on facebook and searching for UK based bird groups.

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Ask them for a vet you can contact. they may not deal directly with birds, but they will know who you can call. Manchester is one of the biggest cities in the north.
Try going on facebook and searching for UK based bird groups.
I’m making a Facebook account so I can do this right now.

Edit: It is not allowing me to make a facebook account? I will keep on trying on other stuff :)

Last edited:

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
So far no luck although one person advised leaving his beak alone and to hand feed him for the rest of his life. But they weren’t a vet so I am still not sure but so far I will stick to that advice.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you were to go to the RSPCA and abandon these birds, the first thing they would have to do is find them a vet to get the beak looked at. So you are saving them the costs, and the abandonment of a bird, you just want their contacts. They know who they would call.

I have an idea!

Go and see @Ripshod s vet. It´s gonna be just over an hours drive (maybe, depending on which side of Manchester you are). Hopefully he is still working, inbox Ripshod and ask for the contact details.

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
If you were to go to the RSPCA and abandon these birds, the first thing they would have to do is find them a vet to get the beak looked at. So you are saving them the costs, and the abandonment of a bird, you just want their contacts. They know who they would call.

I have an idea!

Go and see @Ripshod s vet. It´s gonna be just over an hours drive (maybe, depending on which side of Manchester you are). Hopefully he is still working, inbox Ripshod and ask for the contact details.
My last resort is definitely going to be abandoning them. :( I don’t want to see them go but it will be for their own good. I will go ask him right now!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was being hypothetical. Hopefully things work out with Ripshod :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have received a message from Tka;

Richard Jones is in Cheshire (Avian Veterinary Services)

He has checked their website and they're open, he says they are a world-class bird-only vet centre and are barely an hour away.

Here is the website; avianveterinaryservices.co.uk

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin

He has checked their website and they're open, he says they are a world-class bird-only vet centre and are barely an hour away.

Ok I’ll try them

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ok I’ll try them
Their hours seem short (mornings only) but you could try calling and arrange to go in in the morning :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

That's the one I gave him the link to. Located in Northwich, Cheshire County.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That's the one I gave him the link to. Located in Northwich, Cheshire County.
Ah yes, I see that now. Didn´t realise you already posted the link.
But they are open @Arin call at 9 am and see if you can be seen the same day.

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
I emailed Avian Vetinary Services and they replied with

If the beak is detached from one side then unfortunately there isn't anything that can be done and having the bird euthanized on humane grounds is the only option. If it is still somewhat attached and you can nurse it through the next week then see if it can feed on it's own then that is feasible. If you can get hold of a parrot hand-rearing formula that would be best either Harrison's juvenile formula, kaytee exact for example that would be great. In the short term whilst you're waiting for that to arrive then you could use a baby rice (milupa) and small amount of veg/fruit only baby food (this is very much for short term as doesn't have the correct nutritional balance but is better than nothing)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wow what an experience for you both and what a tough little bird you have! I would love to see updated pics showing how he is doing now if you don't mind.