• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 PLEASE HELP (URGENT) BABY BUDGIES IN DISTRESS

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Have you contacted a vet? That looks so painful.
No, there are no avian vets near me and most are not open. It looks painful but he is so so lively and happy. He acts like nothing has happened and is even more joyful before the fight! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
there are no avian vets near me and most are not open
Which is it? There aren´t any or most are not open? It can´t be both. If ¨most are not open¨, that means that some are, or at least one.
Have you tried searching emergency clinics?

It looks painful but he is so so lively and happy.
Last year I scooped up a bird off the pavement after a cat attacked him. He was climbing all over the cage all the way to the vet, calling to the wild birds he heard as we drove by. He seemed fine..... but his wing was smashed and bloody, the bones were shattered into tiny pieces, I bet the pain was excrutiating. I had never seen first hand just how well a bird can hide pain or illness, and it really has opened my eyes.

@Hankmacaw @enigma731 @finchly Is there anything OP can while searching for a vet?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That is a problem that only a vet can solve.

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
I honestly think he is better because he still uses his beak a lot and has shown getting better. A year ago, one of my budgies were vomiting everywhere but he seemed never better but this time I think he is better and isn't in pain anymore. I don't mind if he can get fixed as I have all the time in the world to hand feed him and I will even enjoy it.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m sorry, but you think he is better, you think he isn´t in pain anymore and you will enjoy it. What about your bird?
His beak is hanging off his face, he needs medical attention.
Birds don´t cry when they are in pain.
A baby dove landed on my balcony with a gaping hole in his crop and it took me a day or two to even notice because he was just being normal, eating sleeping, being fed by the parents. I didn´t just leave him because I thought he was fine, I took him to the vet, and that was a really hard task.

If you need help locating a vet, please say so and we can try to help. Just don´t try to tell us that this bird is better, fine and not in pain.

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
I´m sorry, but you think he is better, you think he isn´t in pain anymore and you will enjoy it. What about your bird?
His beak is hanging off his face, he needs medical attention.
Birds don´t cry when they are in pain.
A baby dove landed on my balcony with a gaping hole in his crop and it took me a day or two to even notice because he was just being normal, eating sleeping, being fed by the parents. I didn´t just leave him because I thought he was fine, I took him to the vet, and that was a really hard task.

If you need help locating a vet, please say so and we can try to help. Just don´t try to tell us that this bird is better, fine and not in pain.
Finding a vet would be amazing. I live in Manchester, UK

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
I tried this and it gave me a vet that was more than 2 hours away from my house. If this pandemic wasn't around I would be more than willing to go but I can't and will most likely get turned around or fined a large amount of money. I also checked the website and there was no history of treating birds at the vet. :(

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Manchester street veterinary surgery: Exotics

Emergency vet finder (not sure if they will see birds, you will have to call any results and ask) Emergency Vets | 60+ Out-of-hours Vet Clinics & 3 Hospitals | Vets Now
Thank you very much. I am going to wake up very early and go straight to the vets. I can not thank you enough. I will update you on how it goes. I am so sorry if I acted stubborn :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you for agreeing to take this little one to the vet. I understand the issue, the pandemic, the vets being closed/not as accessible/far away. Still we have to do our best even when it is "just" a small bird.

I know this, I get questioned all the time for caring so much and spending so much time, effort, and money on my tiny ones. God gave us these creatures as our charges, to care for. It's our assignment. :) The path isn't always very clear.

I too have had one seem to get along fine. When I (finally) took her to the vet, she had a leg shattered in 3 places! Boy did I feel guilty.

Keep us updated, okay?

@taxidermynerd do you have any advice?

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have anything to add, I'm sorry. I agree that only a vet can handle this.

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
I will be going to the vet now. Thanks for the help everybody!

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Bad news everybody. I called many vets and stayed on hold for more than 30 minutes on different ones and they wouldn’t accept Ray as they didn’t have any people that could help. I don’t know what to do anymore.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could they not direct you to someone who can help? Usually vets will know of another vet you can visit for certain things they cannot provide.
If that is a no-go. Call the RSPCA, and ask them to help you find medical attention for him, they might know where you can go.

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
My last resort is the RSPCA which I am calling right now. :(

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Could they not direct you to someone who can help? Usually vets will know of another vet you can visit for certain things they cannot provide.
If that is a no-go. Call the RSPCA, and ask them to help you find medical attention for him, they might know where you can go.
Yes I am calling the RSPCA right now

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My last resort is the RSPCA
Did you already call PDSA?

edit; I just want to add at this point, that i know it is hard finding help sometimes. I was also in your position calling up charities, orgs and vets searching for help. I know it´s tough having people say ¨no¨ , but I did finally find someone willing to help me when others wouldn´t. You live in a big city, there will be someone, I´m sure of it.

Last edited: