• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please Help taming Lovebird!

EthanBoha

Sitting on the front steps
I got my Lovebird Romeo when he was 3 years old, I don't know if he was tamed before that. I've had him for 3 years, and I was a minor when I got him, so I didn't really care for him. But now I'm ready to start working hard to tame and care for him. I was planning to take him to the vet in September, and I want him to be able to step up on my finger and eat out of my hand and stuff like that. Whenever I try to touch him he either fly's away or lifts his wings up and makes a clicking sound. Please help me tame him.

Last edited by a moderator:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welll....Since you neglected him for years, you'll have to work twice as hard (and be twice as patient) to earn his trust and regard. It will be on his terms and on his timeline.

Be consistent. Talk to him when entering and leaving the room, while you're in the room, etc. Give him attention daily. Make sure he has plenty of enrichment (a variety of fun toys in his cage aka stuff to destroy/bang/ring, varied natural wood perches, swings, have a TV or radio on for him). They're very social, very intelligent creatures.

Good luck! I'm sure others will be along with many suggestions for winning Romeo back!

Joshie

Sitting on the front steps
Talk to him a lot. Put a chair near the cage and talk. Even if you read storybooks or something. Over time try feeding millet or another treat through the bars.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Kamara was unsocialized when I adopted her and I found that keeping her cage by my computer (where I spend most of my time) has helped her warm up to me tremendously. I just don't chat with friends loudly anymore online.