• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 PLEASE HELP! TACO BROKE HIS NAIL OFF!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
On the cage that Taco came with when I got him, there was a huge hole cut out of one side for the nest box (which I immediately got rid of).
I kept it "hidden" from Taco by clamping a blanket around it, which has been working fine until today. I just got home, and Taco was sitting on top of his cage looking proud as could be at his victory, but as I got over to him I realised the bottom of his cage had a pool of blood about five inches across, and as he came over to see me, he was limping on one foot.
Closer inspection showed that he somehow managed to tear off one of his claws, leaving exposed what I assume is his quick (though I can't be sure, as this has never happened to any of my pets before).
He's bleeding, and in enough pain that he's cuddling close and asking me for scritches, which he has never done.

He's going to the vet AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, but near everything is closed or closing.
Until he gets in, is there anything, ANYTHING I can do for him? Should I cut the claw off? Try to wrap the wound in gauze?
This is a nightmare. PLEASE, please help me!!

20180531_181047.jpg

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
put some corn starch or flour to try to stop bleeding & wrap it tight in bandage & put pressure on it to try to stop bleeding...have to stop bleeding fast!

Don't cut anything!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You need to stop the bleeding. Clean the area. If you don't have Kwik Stop then use cornstarch or flour. Apply to the area that is bleeding and apply pressure. You will have to hold for a few minutes. Then check to make sure it's not bleeding. If it is do the same thing again. If you can not get the bleeding to stop then you will need to go to the vet. You may have to go to an emergency vet.

BTW, once the bleeding has stopped it's a good idea to monitor Taco to make sure he doesn't reopen that area.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Take a deep breath
Apply direct pressure to the wound hold it as tightly as you can and he will allow. For clotting you can use cornstarch, white unbleached flour, cayenne powder. Pour some of cornstarch or flour into a cup, take thumb and 2 finger pinch, pinch on to the wound and hold it tightly for at least two minutes. cayenne will stop bleeding also, mix it with flour or cornstarch equal portions same instructions as above.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Breath and stay calm. The more excited he gets the more blood will circulate and continue to bleed. Keep calm around him and talk softly. Find the 24 hour clinics if possible.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
You’ve gotten good advice already. Try to stay calm. Taco will be ok. :bighug: Birds are resilient and these things happpen, it’s not anyone’s fault.
Please keep us updated on how he’s doing and don’t forget to take a deep breath...calmness is contagious and he could use some of yours right now.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Got my first ever macaw bite (he was going for the cornstarch box and it definitely wasn't as hard as he could bite, lucky!) , but Taco's bleeding has stopped. His claw broke completely off on its own.
I think just seeing his quick exposed scared the holy bologna outta me, but we're both much calmer now.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:Good job

I was just going to get into the real emergency situation & maybe its best to discuss it before theres a need but I was thinking if you could not stop bleeding & its a matter of the birds life I'd try to place a tourniquet perhaps a rubber band firmly above the cut to slow it...

Any thoughts???

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Nope never ever do a tourniquet, without a vet's direct instructions!!!!
most often direct pressure held firmly and long enough will stop bleeding.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Nope never ever do a tourniquet, without a vet's direct instructions!!!!
most often direct pressure held firmly and long enough will stop bleeding.

I briefly researched it...most often its not needed as most often bleeding can be stopped but what if it cut a big blood vessel or its a really bad & a toe was ripped off & you can't stop the bleeding. The flour/cornstarch & the pressure done in series for minutes would slow it but suppose you could not stop it...
I guess I'd rather lose my toe than my life.

Its true we do need to be better prepared as when things happen there is no time for research & fumbling for supplies & numbers...

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Only with your avian veterinarian instructions. If you do not know what to do a tourniquet can leave more damage then there is already.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Got my first ever macaw bite (he was going for the cornstarch box and it definitely wasn't as hard as he could bite, lucky!) , but Taco's bleeding has stopped. His claw broke completely off on its own.
I think just seeing his quick exposed scared the holy bologna outta me, but we're both much calmer now.
You just joined a very elite club 'BIRD BITES NON ANONYMOUS and you get to join at big bird level. I am just thankful that Taco is ok.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So far my worst bites have been from a Meyers. They have some huge beaks for there size & really there head is half beak...They latch on like a pit bull & grind away!!!

I've heard from the bird store guy that hawkhead bites are worse than amazons...oooh joy joy!!!!

:backout:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
What about a pressure bandage??
I guess that's what I was getting at with the corn starch /flour & then the gauze etc bandage with pressure as the bandage holds the flour/cornstarch in the wound & along with the pressure can stop the bleeding????

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Have you ever tried wrapping a bandage on already angry parrot? They are squirming around , madder then two wet hens and hurting.
Rocky broke off a talon after he got sick with cancer. I was able to hold him with his bleeding toe but trying to bandage it and holding him was nearing impossible. I felt horrible because he was already sick and in pain, and it was something that I knew that had to be kept trimmed. Most of the time direct pressure and either starch or flour takes care of takes care of the ouchie.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You just joined a very elite club 'BIRD BITES NON ANONYMOUS and you get to join at big bird level. I am just thankful that Taco is ok.
Oh that certainly wasn't my first bite, Kraz and Aurélie have told me what's what with their beaks more than once :D
But boy oh boy, they don't hold a candle to even a soft bite from Taco. Aiyee!