• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please Help : Second Bird?

abcdefg

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone !
I currently have a 7 month old female CAG :laugh:and am planning on getting a second bird in anthe near future. I have always wanted a macaw ( i am open to looking at other birds also) and was wondering what would be the right time to introduce another bird into the family..
i have many questions about this : 1) would it be better to introduce another bird when she is still a baby (so that she is more accepting ) or when she is older ( about 3-4 years)
2) which species should i consider and would get along (not hate each other)
3)what age should the new bird be

It's not as though I'm inexperienced with birds (i had 6 cockatiels but the smart birdies figured out how to open their cage and flew away) and there will always be people around the birds so they're never lonely since i live with 6 other people. everyone is on board with getting a new family member we're just worried about when we should get him/her and how old he/she should be ...

please give your insight and advice . it would be greatly appreciated. I'm prepared to get the new birdie tomorrow if it's okay . we have the space and financial capability to care for 2 birds .

thanks sm:heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Not a good mix of species: @Hankmacaw will fill you in. Some members do mix these species with separate areas of living for the birds.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Macaws are very susceptible to a disease called Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome that is mainly caused by the dust of old world birds ( African greys, cockatiels, cockatoos). It is 100% fatal and sometimes it takes a macaw, conure, Amazon or pionus .many miserable years to die. We have several people who are members of this forum who have lost their bird to this disease and one member who's mini-macaw is struggling with PHS right now.

Please read this;
Macaw Asthma | BluePearl Veterinary Partners

Living with 6 other people can be a problem since there are many restrictions in a house that keeps birds. All six people must be on board with these restrictions.

Dangers

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome.

You already have a young CAG...why not another? I'd assume you'd want a female (unless you want little ones)...also no problems with PHS.

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
For me the biggest drawbacks of having birds of different sizes is having to have two sizes of everything such as playstands, toys, pellets. Plus you have to make sure they keep their distance from each other so one doesn't get hurt. If you are getting birds of different sizes I don't think it matters so much when you get a second because you will want to keep them separated for their own safety. One of the most beautiful things I've seen on these boards and groups is pictures and videos of two parrots playing together. If you are thinking that is the type of relationship you would like your first and second parrot to have then I encourage you to take the advice given and get a bird that is about the same size as your grey. If you just want them to be able to keep each other company within the house then size really isn't an issue though if they are in different rooms expect them to do a lot of calling back and forth to each other. :)

(FYI- my avatar is photoshopped. My two would never be allowed to get that close to each other.)

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
It's more likely for birds to get along if they're the same species. So that's your best bet if you want them to be friends. Plus it can be dangerous mixing birds of different sizes together, even just for play time. There's always the chance the bigger bird will really hurt the smaller bird in an argument. Having said that, you never know what will happen til they meet. They may hate each other, tolerate each other, or become instant friends. Age has less to do with it than just their personalities in my experience. My advice is only get another bird if you're prepared for them to hate each other and always need separate times out of their cages. Chances are they'll at least tolerate one another and play on their own cages away from one another. But you really don't know, so you need to be okay with owning two birds that cannot be out together.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I suggest another grey like others or one of the species from Africa.
Many are smaller then a grey like the Senegal and love bird. Have you seen a Jardine? They are bigger than the other two and quite striking. One other is the beautiful but hard to find cape parrot. Cape parrots are quite expensive. I have seen and interacted with a Jardine parrot and they are very pretty.

Cape Parrot Facts, Pet Care, Behavior, Housing, Diet, Pictures | Singing Wings Aviary

Jardine's Parrot aka Red-headed Parrot (Poicephalus gulielmi

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:M:welave:
I would suggest another Grey, because they are more likely to get along, and even then, you never know.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road