• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help my Mousebird

Fruity Mouse

Moving in
Real Name
Corlia
Hi I have a baby mousebird wich I dont know the age or the specie. I feed it squased bananna and papaya with a syringe. Please I need advice as soon as possible.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
What town/country are you in? What do you have access too?

Fruity Mouse

Moving in
Real Name
Corlia
I live in South Africa, Pretoria. I dont know what you mean by what do I have access to.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Is the baby injured?
If so please take it to a vet.

Fruity Mouse

Moving in
Real Name
Corlia
I looked but as far as I can see there is no cuts or anything broken, she flapped her wings a while ago so thats good. She also held onto my finger so everything look fine. I am just a little concerned about her weight, she weighs 14 grams, but I dont know how old she is. She has feathers and is beginning to grow a kuif.

Fruity Mouse

Moving in
Real Name
Corlia
Does anyone have an idea of how old it is and how much it must weigh. I figured it must be a Speckled Mousebird.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
But how did you find it? And when? If it's not injured better to try to return it to the nest if you can find it.

chantelle

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Chantelle
Good day, i saved a mousebird, it has a broken tail feather. I want to find out whether it grows back or will it remain short?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is the baby doing? I hope the little one is OK.

Juane

Checking out the neighborhood
@chantelle i also have a mousbird. Her tail feather broke off about two months ago. Still no feather growing back. I am worried because she is off balance and doesnt vlimb her cage that much anymore. I took her to the vet and they said she looks healthy. They say she has grown a callus at the end of her tail from the constant friction against it while its been gone. The vet gave her a diluted formula of anti-inflamatory drops that we must administer for five days. They said we must see how it goes for there and if it doesnt grow back in a few months we must go to an exotic animal clinic who sepcializes in wild birds. The gave us the name Marina from Onderstepoort Dierekliniek in Pretoria.