• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help my GCC..! Weight loss problem..

gojak[Korean]

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
gojak
Hello guys, I'm owner of two GCCs since 3month ago. Mine are both 6 month old.

And I'm South Korean. So, at first, sorry for my awful English skill.

Here the Korea is mad summer. Hot and so humid. (average 86℉)

One of my conure loss her weight since 10days ago.. (64g -> 58g during 10~14days)

I always give them 'Caitec oven fresh bites (small)' and 'Vetafarm nutriblend mini'. and somtimes give apple pieces or some grain. Also I give them 'AviTech - AviBios'.

And she looks good, play well, eating well. But, she loss her weight..

I really don't know why..

Is it because hot wheater? I have no idea.. I'm really worried about my conure.

Can you give me an advise? please.

+ few days ago, I bring my conure to animal docter, and medical checkup my conure's dropping. but dropping was clean.. but my conure still loss her weight...

please help me..

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. It's good you took your birdies to the vet. (And your English is really good.) By any chance are your birds starting to fly? I think it's common for birds to lose weight when they fledge but I'm not really sure at what age conures do.

@webchirp ?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know what could be happening with your bird, but we have many GCC owners on AA who are very knowledgeable _ one will be along soon to help you.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

gojak[Korean]

Real Name
gojak
Welcome. It's good you took your birdies to the vet. (And your English is really good.) By any chance are your birds starting to fly? I think it's common for birds to lose weight when they fledge but I'm not really sure at what age conures do.

@webchirp ?
Thanks for your sweet reply.

But my counres both has trimmed wing (Wing clipping) so.. they can't fly very well..

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Hello and welcome to the forum!

The only things that I would think contribute to weight loss are fledging birds, illness, parasite, or malnutrition. The diet you have them on is good but I would add more fresh vegetables and fruits to it. Healthy seeds are good too. I like to give my birds sprouted millet, sunflower, safflower, quinoa, and mung beans. They also get a Volkman cage mix.

Is your bird eating the food you are giving it? Sometimes they are picky and won't eat the food.

I would go back to the vet and have some bloodwork and disease testing done. Just in case.

Any other symptoms you noticed? How are the droppings? Normal droppings should be solid with a clear urine, white urates, and the feces color depends on their diet.

gojak[Korean]

Real Name
gojak
Hello and welcome to the forum!

The only things that I would think contribute to weight loss are fledging birds, illness, parasite, or malnutrition. The diet you have them on is good but I would add more fresh vegetables and fruits to it. Healthy seeds are good too. I like to give my birds sprouted millet, sunflower, safflower, quinoa, and mung beans. They also get a Volkman cage mix.

Is your bird eating the food you are giving it? Sometimes they are picky and won't eat the food.

I would go back to the vet and have some bloodwork and disease testing done. Just in case.

Any other symptoms you noticed? How are the droppings? Normal droppings should be solid with a clear urine, white urates, and the feces color depends on their diet.

I can't find any symptoms without weight loss(and she eat very well) but bloodwork is good idea! I should go to the vet one more time.

her dropping was normal and clean. and I can't see her diarrhea or vomit.. all of her looks fine.. I think..

I thougt sudden weight loss because hot whether.. Is it possible?

thanks for reply

Catarina

Strolling the yard
If she is eating as usuall the weight should not be dropping as much. Really the vet should try to do more tests to find the cause.
Your english is great, don't worry so much we all understand you.:)

gojak[Korean]

Real Name
gojak
If she is eating as usuall the weight should not be dropping as much. Really the vet should try to do more tests to find the cause.
Your english is great, don't worry so much we all understand you.:)
Thanx alot☺

I shoud try to see the vet one more time, and find out the cause..

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your little conure is okay. I think it's good that you are going to have more tests done. Keep us updated on her!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes, off to the vet. That is a bit more than you should be seeing normally with changes...weigh her daily at this point and you may want to include some nuts such as walnuts, pistachios, almonds to see if you can balance her weight loss. Generally when mine loose weight like that, they are ill. Keep us posted.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey

gojak[Korean]

Real Name
gojak
Ok. I heard about one good news and one bad news from the vet. The good news is her(my conure) x-ray photo was very normal and blood test result was too.

KakaoTalk_20160709_141021797.jpg KakaoTalk_20160709_140925822.jpg

She absolutly normal according to the test result.

Yes, The bad news is, she is normal. If she doesn't have any problem on her health, Why her weight getting light?

The vet and I can't find any clue of this situation.

So, for now, my conure injected infusion solution. And she looks tired. So I just let her some rest in her own bird cage now.

From this time, I will give hand feeding formula(nutribird a21 product) for her every three~four hours (3cc at one time maybe).

And try to provide some nuts.

What can I do for her more? 64g -> 58g is abnormal weight loss I think..