• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please help! My cockatiel seems to be injured

LilMango

Moving in
My cockatiel was in his cage. I went to bring him for dinner and I noticed some blood near to his vent. It is not the vent area. it is about 1 cm below the vent near the end of the tail. I cleaned the blood and something is attached to the body and does not come off. That was not there in the morning. Please help me. What is this? Is it part of the body? I called the emergency vet and they told me to come tomorrow morning. I feel soooo bad right now :((

I am new to birds and my baby cockatiel is only 4 months old.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jogging around the block
I think you've done the right thing calling the vet, if they seem to think he'll be okay until tomorrow he probably will. I am not familiar with what that is, but I'm really not good with birds, nor their anatomy. Is he eating/drinking/defecating alright? Not any strange behaviour? If he does have any of the above I'd personally take him to the emergency vet immediately. But if the vet has said he'll be fine until tomorrow, I'd not worry too much.

LilMango

Moving in
I think you've done the right thing calling the vet, if they seem to think he'll be okay until tomorrow he probably will. I am not familiar with what that is, but I'm really not good with birds, nor their anatomy. Is he eating/drinking/defecating alright? Not any strange behaviour? If he does have any of the above I'd personally take him to the emergency vet immediately. But if the vet has said he'll be fine until tomorrow, I'd not worry too much.
He was eating and playing alright tonight. I am very worried that the area gets infected by tomorrow. It seems to be a little yellow near the area.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
He was eating and playing alright tonight. I am very worried that the area gets infected by tomorrow. It seems to be a little yellow near the area.
I dare say that the vet will give him a shot of antibiotics (as well as some for home) and clean it up to find out exactly what it is.
If it is not bleeding or actually currently bothering your baby then pop him in a quiet place to rest. Make sure he is kept warm enough and that he is not messing about too much- you dont want him knocking the scab off and bleeding again.

Is there anything in the cage that may have caught him? Like a rough twig poking out from a perch or a toy of some sort?

Edit: how long has the tail feather been broken? Could he maybe have fallen or caught himself on something? You would be amazed at the trouble these guys can find themselves. Maybe you could share a picture of his cage?

Last edited:

LilMango

Moving in
I dare say that the vet will give him a shot of antibiotics (as well as some for home) and clean it up to find out exactly what it is.
If it is not bleeding or actually currently bothering your baby then pop him in a quiet place to rest. Make sure he is kept warm enough and that he is not messing about too much- you dont want him knocking the scab off and bleeding again.

Is there anything in the cage that may have caught him? Like a rough twig poking out from a perch or a toy of some sort?

Edit: how long has the tail feather been broken? Could he maybe have fallen or caught himself on something? You would be amazed at the trouble these guys can find themselves. Maybe you could share a picture of his cage?
Thanks for the reply, Shezbug. I checked the cage and I found that the upper side of the cuttlebone has gotten sharp at some parts. That might have caused the injury. The feather tails have been broken a few weeks ago as he was landing on his tail.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What is the cuttlebone fixed onto the cage with? Sometimes the holders are sharp and other times they are actually a dangerous metal which is a no no for birds and should not be used.

If there is no bleeding and he is not picking at the spot then I would not be overly concerned as you have done exactly what should be done and you will be seeing the vet in the morning who will clean assess and likely send you off with meds to keep infection and pain at bay.

Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

LilMango

Moving in
What is the cuttlebone fixed onto the cage with? Sometimes the holders are sharp and other times they are actually a dangerous metal which is a no no for birds and should not be used.

If there is no bleeding and he is not picking at the spot then I would not be overly concerned as you have done exactly what should be done and you will be seeing the vet in the morning who will clean assess and likely send you off with meds to keep infection and pain at bay.

Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:
The cuttlebone is holding by itself, like in the attached photo. I really hope there is nothing serious and I hope he is not in pain right now :(

Attachments

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What’s he doing now?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Aww what a cutie pie. :swoon:
Is tomorrow is going to be his first vet visit?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yes. Anything specific I should know or do before going?

Depending on where you live you may not be allowed in to the clinic or consult room with your bird- covid has made this a pretty standard thing for many vet clinics unfortunately. So, other than possibly being made to wait outside, I wouldn’t think there’s anything extra special to know or do :)

Some vets assume new owners want birds clipped- I made it extremely clear (I was pretty rude about it actually lol) that I did not want my birds wings clipped- thankfully my birds vet doesn’t encourage wing clipping as it’s damaging to their health and mental well-being :)

Are you seeing an avian vet or a regular vet? Do you know?

Is you sweetie booked in for a wellness or new bird exam also?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Anything specific I should know or do before going?
Some vets assume new owners want birds clipped- I made it extremely clear (I was pretty rude about it actually lol) that I did not want my birds wings clipped
If you can´t go into the consult, get a large A4 piece of paper and write on it in marker pen, ¨No clipping please!¨ and tape it to the carrier box. If you have a cage, you can put the paper in the drop tray.

Take a pen and a notebook to jot down any notes or instructions the vet may give you. It´s easy to forget the meds and when to give and how much and with a treat or with out a treat and how long with no out of cage time etc etc.

Ask as many questions as you need to and don´t leave until you and clear about what you need to do. Sometimes I feel in the way and wanna move out quick so the next person can have their appointment, but it´s important not to leave until you know what you are doing without any doubts.

If you write down all of your notes on a piece of paper, don´t leave the paper at the vet when you leave (Which I did at my last appointment! :facepalm: )

You can always ask the vet send you an email with a resumen of any findings and instructions.

I would definitely ask the vet to give the bird a good look over while there. Saves you paying the consult fee twice :)

I hope all goes smooth and well, and your bird will be ok :fingerscrossed:

LilMango

Moving in
Depending on where you live you may not be allowed in to the clinic or consult room with your bird- covid has made this a pretty standard thing for many vet clinics unfortunately. So, other than possibly being made to wait outside, I wouldn’t think there’s anything extra special to know or do :)

Some vets assume new owners want birds clipped- I made it extremely clear (I was pretty rude about it actually lol) that I did not want my birds wings clipped- thankfully my birds vet doesn’t encourage wing clipping as it’s damaging to their health and mental well-being :)

Are you seeing an avian vet or a regular vet? Do you know?

Thanks for your advice. He was an avian bird. Fortunately, the vet told me that is nothing serious and it will heal by itself. He did not give any medicine. That has been caused by landing on the tail. He told me not to keep him on my should or at the height of more than 3 feet for 3-6 months. He sweet boy is now begging to come to my shoulder, and very upset that about his visit to the vet :D

LilMango

Moving in
If you can´t go into the consult, get a large A4 piece of paper and write on it in marker pen, ¨No clipping please!¨ and tape it to the carrier box. If you have a cage, you can put the paper in the drop tray.

Take a pen and a notebook to jot down any notes or instructions the vet may give you. It´s easy to forget the meds and when to give and how much and with a treat or with out a treat and how long with no out of cage time etc etc.

Ask as many questions as you need to and don´t leave until you and clear about what you need to do. Sometimes I feel in the way and wanna move out quick so the next person can have their appointment, but it´s important not to leave until you know what you are doing without any doubts.

If you write down all of your notes on a piece of paper, don´t leave the paper at the vet when you leave (Which I did at my last appointment! :facepalm: )

You can always ask the vet send you an email with a resumen of any findings and instructions.

I would definitely ask the vet to give the bird a good look over while there. Saves you paying the consult fee twice :)

I hope all goes smooth and well, and your bird will be ok :fingerscrossed:
Thanks for the helpful advice. I really hope his wings grow back soon. He was clipped when I got it, and I cannot wait to see him fly around.