• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PLEASE HELP ME

wiggy

Moving in
Hi Everyone!

I would really, really appreciate some advice as I have no idea what else I can do to resolve my problem. (please bear with me as the names of my birds might confuse you with their sex).

-First I bought Mr White (blue fischer
who is a MALE) and Mr. Blonde (green/yellow/orange) FEMALE fischer lovebird
))

A few months later I bought MR. Pink who is a FEMALE blue fischer
as well as Mr Orange who is a MALE fischer lovebird

So now we have 2
(male and female ) and 2
(male and female).

I have separated the two types of species accordingly, the fischers separate and blue masked separate.

The problem now is that Mr White, who was very peaceful before and shared his cage and food with Mr. Blonde in the past (they are both of different species), now is very aggressive towards his new mate (Mr. Pink-Female) and does not even allow her to eat or go inside the wooden house. He bites at her neck and feet and basically terrorizes her.

I am stuck as to what to do with Mr. White and Mr. Pink
(male & female).

Please someone help! or if you need me to clarify anything else .

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! If the birds in your avatar are the birds that you are talking about, your blue lovebird is a peach faced lovebird, and not a blue mutation Fischer's lovebird.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
now is very aggressive towards his new mate
Very obviously this is not a "mate". Lovebirds are known to be very aggressive. Many of them have killed the other. It's also obvious they need to be separated before there is a real tragedy.

wiggy

Moving in
Welcome! If the birds in your avatar are the birds that you are talking about, your blue lovebird is a peach faced lovebird, and not a blue mutation Fischer's lovebird.
Thank you for the information! So now, with better understanding, my two peach-faced lovebirds are not getting along, however, the male used to get along with the other fischer's love bird (like in my avatar picture).

Would it be a good idea to put all 4 together? the two fischers and the two peach-faced lovebirds? (there is a total of 2 females and 2 males in this group).

wiggy

Moving in
can male lovebirds be territorial? what do you think I should do now? Considering the situation. Any suggestions would greatly be recommended

wiggy

Moving in
i really don't want to be annoying with all of these questions but I really just want my birds to be as comfortable as possible.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I would say to try caging them all separate and see what they decide.
You'll want to avoid letting the Peachfaced and Fischer's be caged together though, to prevent any hybrid chicks.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, you're absolutely not being annoying. :) We're all happy to help as much as we can.

G.B.

Meeting neighbors
I would put them side by side (2 separate cages right next to each other) or if your cage has divider, use that option.1 Bird per cage or section. You can let them out and see if their communication improves (usually after a week they tend to mellow out towards each other). You might have to keep them this way longer. I would not leave them as is as you are running into a chance of either injuries or loss. Try separating them first.

wiggy

Moving in
thats where my issues started, after separating the peachfaced and the fischers. the fischers seem to be doing just fine but the peachfaced are not getting along. One of them was separated from his old fischer friend and the other is a new buy.

Is this making sense?

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
thats where my issues started, after separating the peachfaced and the fischers. the fischers seem to be doing just fine but the peachfaced are not getting along. One of them was separated from his old fischer friend and the other is a new buy.

Is this making sense?
For sure try to cage them all individually. And go from there. :)
It sounds like your Fischers would do fine together, but I would let them choose if they would rather be housed alone or with one another.
You may need to keep your Peachfaced lovies separate long term though, if they really don't like one another.

Have you had them DNA sexed?

wiggy

Moving in
No. I am in Egypt (moved here 2 months ago) and I am saying this very respectfully but they are not that advanced. The guy who i bought them from seems to know a lot abut them however and said that you can tell by their pelvic bone if it is open (female) or closed (male); so that is the information I am going with.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
No. I am in Egypt (moved here 2 months ago) and I am saying this very respectfully but they are not that advanced. The guy who i bought them from seems to know a lot abut them however and said that you can tell by their pelvic bone if it is open (female) or closed (male); so that is the information I am going with.
Well you'll for sure know if one lays an egg. :D

It would be helpful to order "dummy-eggs" so that just in case two of your birds pair up and they produce fertile eggs, you can prevent babies.
DummyEggs.com by Melanie Dummy Eggs Stop Egg Laying! Fake Solid Plastic Eggs

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Is this making sense?
Cage them separately. However things were before, they're not working now, so you need to react to and accommodate that change.

Haimovfids

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Don't be 100% sure on their sexes. Pelvic sexing is not accurate. I would get a DNA test if you want to know for sure.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you don't plan on breeding and you can discourage hormonal behavior, then it would be fine to cage them together as long as they got along and were in a big enough cage.

If you intend to breed, then you need to keep them separate.

G.B.

Meeting neighbors
Pelvic bones thing is not accurate (even experienced breeders make mistakes). I now have 3 females without mates. Lol. Caging them separately (the ones that don't get along (2 peaches)) but close to each other will help resolve that issue. After a while you might be able to put them together. If you can move fischers to another room, it would help.