• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

please help me to know what my bird died from

sezza4ever

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Samie
hello hoping someone could help me.

Ive had my diluted rainbow lorikeet for 3 years and she has been constantly unwell since i bought her. She couldn't perch on tree branches or perches, she will only eat her wet food by spoon also. We took her to the vet many times in her life but they kept saying she is fine don't worry about it. But coming to the end of 2017 she started to show more signs of illness, she was vomiting now and then, always had puffed up feathers. We then took her again to the bird vet as we were very worried but again they said not to worry that she simply was hormonal so we took her home. But then she got worser Vomiting more,but always hungry and would eat so fast, still feathers puffed up, eyes were shutting all the time, she had nasal discharge, a strange wheezing sound, licking the cage and items around the house constantly, and she got very aggressive would just lash out all the time for no reason at all. We then took her to the Bird vet where they took her more seriously where they took her bloods, and an xray. We got told to come back for her the next day in the afternoon to pick her up but we ended up getting a phone call saying that she passed away! we were in shock as no one told us that she would die or that she was that sick. They told us that she made the xray but died in recovery when waking up and that she couldn't stop vomiting they said. they have not found the caused to why this has happend, her bloods all came back good but she said that she has like murky blood? her xray said she has an enlarge liver but the vet didn't think that is what killed her? sorry i'm just so upset and i would like some answers to why this has happend if possible and has any one else had this before? i'm missing my beautiful girl so much and i just hope she didn't die in pain
thank you so much

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am very sorry this happened to your bird. You say the vet was a "bird vet", does this mean avian certified? I find it very strange that your bird had such overt symptoms of illness and you were told your bird was not sick. Bird must have been sick when you got it and declined from there. We can only guess at what it was. Could have been so many things like a type of virus or AGY. Do you have other birds?

sezza4ever

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Samie
Thank you for your reply. Yes they were a proper avian vet in Melbourne Victoria. Yes me to they just didnt seem interested in my bird at all they just thought I was making it up as she looked okay on the outside aperience or being an over protective owner. Yeh it’s just so upsetting I had all the tests done and even agreed to do an extra $200 of blood tests when she died to find out why she died and still they found nothing they first thought it was punomia but come back negative, yes I have another bird who was from the same batch and he actually died 2 years ago from a crop wash that the vet went to far and he bled to death. so I have had no luck with bird vets and they both were ment to be certified bird vet in Melbourne and U vet animal hospital. Thank you for your help it means A lot to me.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm so sorry for your loss! I don't think I would use that vet if you have a choice. I can't imagine taking my sick bird into my Avian vet telling them she is sick and have them tell me she is fine without doing tests. My vets do preventive testing even when they are well to make sure. It seems pretty negligent. Now to have 2 birds die in their care certainly would not give me faith in their ability. I'm sorry you had to go through that! :(

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Do you mind sharing which vet you used? It’s crazy to me that they could be that negligent given the symptoms you describe.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss. Without a necropsy, there's really no way to know for certain the cause. Vomiting is often a sign of a bacterial infection but without testing, there's no way to really know. So sorry.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Without a necroscopy/autopsy we can only speculate what was wrong.

To have symptoms over time like yours did, it is likely that there was something chronic underlying behind it. As I said though without evidence it is pure speculation.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am very sorry for your loss.