• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help me get a better cage for my MIL's canary

Pris

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone, so my mother in law has a little canary in one of those round, sad Tweety cages. Like this... Amazon.com : Mcage Round Bird Cage with Stand Finch Canary Cockatiel Parakeet Dome Top, Cage Only Dimension: 16" Diameter x 28" H, Stand: 68" H (Two Packages) : Birdcages : Pet Supplies

On my last visit, I insisted that I buy her a new cage for her bird. She said she was fine with that but she did not want a rolling cage (idk why but she insisted). She wants a cage that can be hooked up to the existing stand. Is it possible to put a bigger, rectangular flight cage on that kind of stand? Is there a better cage that anyone knows of?

Or should I just bully her into getting a rolling cage? I dont want to buy something shes not going to want.
She does not want to place the cage on any table either. :facepalm:

I tread lightly with the MIL so I dont want to push too hard but that little bird breaks my heart.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You can take the wheels off the stand so it will not roll. I would not attempt to hang a cage that is any bigger than what is already on that stand as I do not think it is safe.

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
Omg I didn’t know people actually put there birds in those cages!what I have learned is that just because they fit in it doesn’t mean they belong in it. Does she let the bird out of the cage? Do they have a good bond? I would do what you said and convince her to get a rolling cage. Like @Shezbug said nothing hanging would be safe.Tell her that also with reasons why.I also heard that it’s not safe for your bird to be in a hanging cage because of how unstable it is. I don’t know if it’s true or not but that’s what I heard. I rather be safe than sorry!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Don't know the frequency there but -
Would the hanging cage be unsafe during earthquakes?
Maybe she thinks it is easier to vacuum under the hanging cage. You could show some products to contain messes in the rolling cage.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Geo Bird Cage | The Beautiful Geodesic Parakeets Cage

I'm kind of a fan of these, but others may have a different opinion. You can buy a stand without wheels to place it on or set it on a table or other surface. I've read, though, that it is a tricky one to assemble.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Geo Bird Cage | The Beautiful Geodesic Parakeets Cage

I'm kind of a fan of these, but others may have a different opinion. You can buy a stand without wheels to place it on or set it on a table or other surface. I've read, though, that it is a tricky one to assemble.
Unfortunately this has the same problem as round cages: no corners to hide in. Corners help a bird feel safer, particularly more nervous birds. The Geodesic cage is beautiful but designed for humans rather than birds.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unfortunately this has the same problem as round cages: no corners to hide in. Corners help a bird feel safer, particularly more nervous birds. The Geodesic cage is beautiful but designed for humans rather than birds.
I think if a bird feels insecure, then this cage could be set up to help with that. Birds have neither round nor corners in the wild, and we can set up any cage to assist a timid or fearful bird.

Pris

Meeting neighbors
Omg I didn’t know people actually put there birds in those cages!what I have learned is that just because they fit in it doesn’t mean they belong in it. Does she let the bird out of the cage? Do they have a good bond? I would do what you said and convince her to get a rolling cage. Like @Shezbug said nothing hanging would be safe.Tell her that also with reasons why.I also heard that it’s not safe for your bird to be in a hanging cage because of how unstable it is. I don’t know if it’s true or not but that’s what I heard. I rather be safe than sorry!
She doesnt let him out which is what concerns me. But she does spend time w him, talk to him, take him outside in the cage and i am happy that she is on top of taking him to the vet. I will probably show up to her house w a new rolling cage anyway..

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Perhaps you could add some cage decor to make it more attractive (for your MIL) and more interesting (for the bird)? @finchly does some lovely set-ups with natural branches and artificial plants - the cages look pretty and the plants are fun for little birds to interact with. Canaries aren't hookbills so are less likely to chew anything in their cage.

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
She doesnt let him out which is what concerns me. But she does spend time w him, talk to him, take him outside in the cage and i am happy that she is on top of taking him to the vet. I will probably show up to her house w a new rolling cage anyway..
it concerns me to. If you do show up with a rolling cage please tell her it’s for the well being of the bird!

Reactions: Ali

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
If she takes him outside in this cage, that’s probably part of why she doesn’t want a bigger one. Rolling cages can be a real bummer to get outside.
There do exist slightly bigger, square cages that hang on a stand like the current cage, which would at least give the little fellow some corners, but like others have said I wouldn’t be very comfortable putting a whole big flight cage on something like that :/
If the important thing to her is being able to carry the cage around, you might have better luck selling her on something like this, where the cage and stand are 2 separate pieces?

Attachments

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I always kept mine in a flight cage, he never wanted to come out of his cage so it worked for him

Pris

Meeting neighbors
If she takes him outside in this cage, that’s probably part of why she doesn’t want a bigger one. Rolling cages can be a real bummer to get outside.
There do exist slightly bigger, square cages that hang on a stand like the current cage, which would at least give the little fellow some corners, but like others have said I wouldn’t be very comfortable putting a whole big flight cage on something like that :/
If the important thing to her is being able to carry the cage around, you might have better luck selling her on something like this, where the cage and stand are 2 separate pieces?
ah yes! Hit the nail right on the head w that i actually am looking at those right now. Yes, she does like to carry him around w her so thats prob why she doesnt want a typical rolling one. I will get her one of those cages.

Its not as big as i would like it to be but its at least better than the one she has now. Poor birdie. At least she is taking him to the vet and cares for his diet and everything. Its all I can do ..

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My rule of thumb is no canary or finch should have a cage smaller than 30x18x18. This gives them flying space. A flying bird is a healthy bird.

If you hang anything on that stand, the depth can only be from the hanger to the bar. I have that stand on my screen porch with a parrot swing on it and I did hang a cage on it once to sun the birds. It seemed awkward and unstable.

It’s okay for a canary not to come out of the cage.

Here are a couple of my decorated cages.

1E4CCD75-97E4-4624-8FFA-23F7056C2D8C.jpeg 3AD598B5-601F-42B3-85E5-86A0DC8FD19F.jpeg 3AF5FFD0-93AC-496A-9FDD-52F6113E6793.jpeg F8ED37EA-3694-46AC-BFC5-92D56FACA34B.jpeg

Guava123

Walking the driveway
Dude, I don't think any sort of big cage can be hooked up safely to that sorta thing. I'd say explain it to her, why the bird needs a bigger cage, and for stability and safety of an earthquake, go get a bigger one that has a stand or is put on a table. I also recommend putting the cage near a table, maybe on the floor, so if there is an earthquake, get to safety underneath a table and if you can, grab the cage and stuff it underneath.
I recommend the A and E flight cage or the HQ flight cage. If your mother in law has some money, I recommend getting an aviary from Corner's Limited. Try to get her to watch BirdTricks and ElleAndTheBirds, those sorta videos so maybe she makes the connection herself. Get your husband or wife to convince their mom if you don't want to.
And because she has a tweety cage this likely sounds like an impulse buy-also try telling her that switching her bird onto pellets, I recommend Tops, and vegetable chop. Also ditch the scented candles and non stick pans.