• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help - lorikeet

Lori_Love5

Moving in
Real Name
Sam
Hi guys,

I’ve this rainbow lorikeet for a little while now, recently for the past few months he has this little hair in front of his right eye that kept bugging him and he would scratch it all the time. Today earlier on I showered him with lukewarm water and a small pump of some very mild wash to get the bits of apple and food stuck all around his beak and feathers.
I then blow dryed him as it was very cold today and he snuggled up with me and fell sleep, he woke and both his eyes were perfectly fine (except the scratching as usual) but then he shut his right eye and now wouldn’t open it and keeps scratching it, I got some pair of small scissors and cut off the little piece of hair which bugged him but he’s still got his eye shut and keeps scratching even though there’s no hair now there.
It looks a bit swollen too which I’m guessing is from his nails scratching it.
He will occasionally open his right eye for a few seconds then close it and open it again. due to COVID the vets around me most are closed and some are booked and I really need some urgent help on what I can do to help my birdy feel better. Please help if you know anything i would really appreciate it, thank you.
I also attached some pics of his right eye and his long nails and how he keeps scratching himself! AE137566-3FDC-4609-A63C-70AF746A83FC.jpeg CD37E99A-1237-4404-A8BC-C673A06CD155.jpeg 74EAF0DF-D27A-4FB6-842C-552B84F82265.jpeg B5EEA280-B006-47EF-BDE2-7ABDC6386E5C.jpeg

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
Please don't use soap on a bird or a blow dryer. It is always best to go to the vet, so is there any open in other cities?
@Kenzie ?

Lori_Love5

Moving in
Real Name
Sam
Welcome! Please don't use soap on a bird or a blow dryer. It is always best to go to the vet, so is there any open in other cities?
@Kenzie ?
Thank you I’ll keep that in mind from now on.
I think there may be are but I live in London and we are in tier 4, only allowed to go out if it’s for work.
Is there any thing you can suggest to do for today as I keep worrying about him and really want to see him get better
Thank you very much

Lori_Love5

Moving in
Real Name
Sam
I would recommend frequent showers and just a note of caution make sure your hair dryer is ptfe free
How many times a week do you think would be good? As it’s really cold here so I’m scared of him getting too cold after his shower
Thank you

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yup I am experiencing the same thing but I would say daily until his eye gets better and maybe a snuggle up warmer I plug it in right after mango’s shower and he likes to get warmed up next to it, you might also like to add some extra vitamin A to his diet mainly eye problems in parrots get better with some extra vitamin A, Harrison's High Potency and supplements such as UnRuffledRx Red Palm Oil can also help, but I don’t have personal experience with the unRuffledRx so you might wanna double check with someone who has firsthand experience

Last edited:

Lori_Love5

Moving in
Real Name
Sam
Yup I am experiencing the same thing but I would say daily until his eye gets better and maybe a snuggle up warmer I plug it in right after mango’s shower and he likes to get warmed up next to it
do you just use a bottle to lightly spray with or do you actually put your birdy under the shower taps?
Thank you for helping btw!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
No problem, I make sure the water is nice and warm and put him in the sink and let him do his own thing without forcing home under the faucet, he really likes the shower mode on our sink and likes to get misted from that and then proceeds to shower,

Lori_Love5

Moving in
Real Name
Sam
Oh nvrmind I just remembered you have a Lori so the pellets probably won’t be applicable,
Thank you very much, once my birdy wakes up I’ll try give a warm shower and snuggle him with him, hopefully his eyes get better from that!
thank you again, have a great day

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
No problem, hope he gets better soon!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi guys,

I’ve this rainbow lorikeet for a little while now, recently for the past few months he has this little hair in front of his right eye that kept bugging him and he would scratch it all the time. Today earlier on I showered him with lukewarm water and a small pump of some very mild wash to get the bits of apple and food stuck all around his beak and feathers.
I then blow dryed him as it was very cold today and he snuggled up with me and fell sleep, he woke and both his eyes were perfectly fine (except the scratching as usual) but then he shut his right eye and now wouldn’t open it and keeps scratching it, I got some pair of small scissors and cut off the little piece of hair which bugged him but he’s still got his eye shut and keeps scratching even though there’s no hair now there.
It looks a bit swollen too which I’m guessing is from his nails scratching it.
He will occasionally open his right eye for a few seconds then close it and open it again. due to COVID the vets around me most are closed and some are booked and I really need some urgent help on what I can do to help my birdy feel better. Please help if you know anything i would really appreciate it, thank you.
I also attached some pics of his right eye and his long nails and how he keeps scratching himself! View attachment 366830 View attachment 366831 View attachment 366832 View attachment 366833
Can I ask what the actual product name of the wash you used on him was?
I would think the chances of him scratching his own eye would be much less than the chance he got an irritated eye from the wash. He may need that eye looking at or rinsing out by a vet depending on what was in the actual “wash” you put on him.
If you keep the room he’s in toasty warm and draft free then you can allow your bird to bathe as often as it likes.
Be very careful with using a hairdryer- many are not safe for use around birds and you also need to be careful not to burn your bird with the hairdryer.
Not all birds like to bathe in warm water so you might try offering both cold and warm to see which your bird prefers.
If you post a picture of your bird standing on a flat surface (the table top or floor etc) his nails can be seen so someone can let you know if they need trimming or if they’re ok as they are.
Do you by any chance have a pic of the “little hair” you mention was in front of his eye?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The RCVS has provided the following guidance: 2. What type of work can I carry out? (22/12/20) - Professionals

This is the information for Tier 4

Veterinary practices may remain open under Tier 4 restrictions, and owners will be able to leave home to seek veterinary advice and treatment that is essential for animal health and welfare and maintenance and supply of the food chain.

In line with the stay at home message, veterinary practice support staff should work from home if possible, and veterinary professionals should undertake triage calls or remote consultations from home where possible. Veterinary professionals are advised to take appropriate biosecurity and hygiene measures when they do need to see an animal in person.

Veterinary professionals should exercise their clinical judgement as to what constitutes essential animal health and welfare, and therefore it may be appropriate in certain circumstances to delay seeing an animal until Tier 4 restrictions are lifted.
I suggest phoning your vet and explaining the situation, and seeing whether they think you ought to bring your bird in.

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
I'd wonder, too, if he scratched his eyeball! I scratched mine once and so has my dog and its a constant irritation. Peek closely to see if you you see anything that looks like a piece of hair/feather in his eye, that usually means it's a cut!