• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help! Just brought home an African ringneck

Melanieyma

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Melanie
Hello everyone,

Thanks for your help in advance.

I just welcomed a male african ringneck into my home. I currently have a female parrotlet. They seem curious about each other and I hope they will get along in the future.

Does anyone have experience with having these two birds tolerating each other outside of their cages?

When I got him yesterday, I realized he’s been living in very poor conditions. His feathers are not smooth and he only stands on one leg at all times and limps a little. Though he does climb around in his cage with both legs. His ankle seems fine, but his toe is a little awkward. He also doesn’t sit upright!

Do you think he hurt his leg? Do you think it’s serious?

He’s very energetic and always trying to climb out of his cage. Today I gave him some sunlight and fruits. I hope to be able to help him become a healthy bird :(

Though it seems like he’s never had human interaction before, he’s quite gentle. I put my hand in his cage with some seed. After a few attempts, he hopped on and ate the seed. He doesn’t bite my hand hard.

And does anyone have any idea how old he is?

Any advice?

Attachments

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Hi before introducing any bird the should go to the vet as soon as possible to ensure thay are healthy and arent carrying any diseases also you should quarantine him away from yoir parrolet in case he is sick.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Aside from quarantining your birds, the size difference should give you pause. They might get along for years but one squabble could cost you your parrotlet. I'd be VERY careful letting them play directly.

Melanieyma

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Melanie
Hi before introducing any bird the should go to the vet as soon as possible to ensure thay are healthy and arent carrying any diseases also you should quarantine him away from yoir parrolet in case he is sick.
Thanks! I am taking him to the vet tomorrow for a checkup.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Melanie :starshower1:

I hope all goes well at the vet :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I would not let them out together. The size difference is substantial. The IRN is more than 4x the weight of the parrotlet, not to mention the massive beak difference. If something does go wrong the parrotlet would be the one to suffer a fatal blow or at least a debilitating injury.

Now with that said the birds will still benefit from having a friend and another bird around. They can chirp, chat and squawk to each other, but they will need separate time out of the cage.

I allow my plumhead out with my parrotlets; but if you see my pictures or story about them, understand that plummies are less than half the size of IRN. I would not allow my feisty little parrotlets out with an IRN.