• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help do Lucas need nail trim to be done ?

Lucas2019

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maria
So I took Lucas like a month or two ago to get his nail trim and I believe they didn’t cut them too short since I think they look long but I am not sure . Today I was looking at his feet and I see him that some of his nail are kind of like chipping (idk how to explain it ) I have move his pedi perch so he can stand there but I think his nail are long so I want to make sure before taking him to get his nail trim I will take him where I used to go before not his avian vet since he is very far for me I can’t go right now . I have taken Lucas to this place before so I know they do a good job better then the other place o took a month or two ago . Please help here is the pictures I try to take him since he was scratching and standing on one leg lol

Attachments

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
I usually clip my conures talons according to how sharp they are, or if they seem to be bothering him. Do you have a pedi perch in his cage?

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
I usually clip my conures talons according to how sharp they are, or if they seem to be bothering him. Do you have a pedi perch in his cage?
Whoops, I just noticed you mentioned you had one. I'd say that your conure's talons don't seem too long, but I could be wrong.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Yes I do but he wasn’t using it as often since I moved it cause he was getting some calluses.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Have his talons been bothering him? Does he ever bite on them often, or get them stuck in places? That is when they should be clipped.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Have his talons been bothering him? Does he ever bite on them often, or get them stuck in places? That is when they should be clipped.
I have not seen him getting stuck since thats when I know he needs one . I have seen him like licking them but not as often so maybe he should ?

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
His talons seem fine then, make sure he sits on his pedi perch often so that he wouldn't have to get them clipped often.

sunnysara

Meeting neighbors
yes I am trying thanks
Hii!! I just wanted to add that pedi perches aren't too good, the skin under their feet is soft and the rough surface gives them calluses. If you want a pedi perch you can get one with only the bottom part that's rough (only where his nails actually touch the material). If he's not tripping on his nails or complaining or acting or walking weird you're fine. I normally cut my babies nails when they get too sharp a little trip is all. Imagine someone makes your floor as rough as those perches :'(

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Hii!! I just wanted to add that pedi perches aren't too good, the skin under their feet is soft and the rough surface gives them calluses. If you want a pedi perch you can get one with only the bottom part that's rough (only where his nails actually touch the material). If he's not tripping on his nails or complaining or acting or walking weird you're fine. I normally cut my babies nails when they get too sharp a little trip is all. Imagine someone makes your floor as rough as those perches :'(
Thank you !

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Pedi perches are usually fine if you position them in a way that your bird's feet are on the smooth side, while the the talons are on the rough side.

Another perch that could help are natural perches with rough edges. In the wild birds perch on tree branches all the time so you wouldn't be harming them.