• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help-cockatiel spooked and flew into a wall

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Hello. If you're wondering, this isn't in 911 Emergency Highway because it's not exactly an emergency but I'm still scared.

meet Sunflower or Sunny, my 7 month old cockatiel. he hasn't bonded to me so he doesn't step up (but he comes out of his cage-I have been trying for months and he finally did)
i put a dowel extending from one side of his cage to the outsde of his cage (mounted on the door) and a table so he can eat millet on it. i just added this playstand and i think he might've been spooked by the swing so he flew. wings flapping, lost a feather, and since this is his first time he's sort of new to flying so he crashed into a wall. it wasnt hard but it def wasn't soft either. he kind of flew around and i just stood there, terrified, (i was working on my desktop so i wasn't paying much attention which i regret al lot) and then he landed behind my desktop, hopped on the edge of the desk and hes just standing there. he's a mellow laid back bird so ig this is normal. he's not taking millet, he's nto bleeding, and hes so relaxed I'm not sure if I can get him back without toweling/scaring him. he's preening and puffy so i think he's comfortable.

i would prefer to not go to the vet so any home care tips would be appreciate, thanks!

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
here's a picture i need to get him back soon because I need to sleep

please help ASAP thanks

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Luckily it sounds like he will be okay. Try dimming the lights to get him back to his cage, or try bribing him with a big spray of millet to step on a perch and slowly bring him to the cage while he is eating it.

I would try to put the cage on a table or stand so it is off the floor. It is hard for pet birds to fly down, and it would be easier for him to get back to his cage if he could climb/fly up.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
I don't think you have to worry too much. As long as he is acting normally, he should be fine, but you might want to monitor him for a little longer. I hope he's ok!!

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
RN he's on the top of his open-top cage. its not easy for him to go from the top to the inside unless he jumps down which i think he doesnt like to do
inside the cage he'll grab the bars to help him but there'sno bars

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you need him back in the cage soon you may have to towel him if he doesn’t go in on his own... it sounds kinda late where you are so in future it may be best to only let him out early in the day when you’ll have plenty of time to get him back in the cage.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
RN he's on the top of his open-top cage. its not easy for him to go from the top to the inside unless he jumps down which i think he doesnt like to do
inside the cage he'll grab the bars to help him but there'sno bars
He should be able to grab the bars from the outside of the cage to climb about- how is there no bars?

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
hes back in.
If you need him back in the cage soon you may have to towel him if he doesn’t go in on his own... it sounds kinda late where you are so in future it may be best to only let him out early in the day when you’ll have plenty of time to get him back in the cage.
he only comes out at night

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
in the future how can i get him out without the whole flying into walls complication?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
in the future how can i get him out without the whole flying into walls complication?
Don’t put new stuff in for a few weeks. remove scary stuff l

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
okay
i just feel like i'm doing this parronting wrong.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
okay
Burt hit the window a fortnight ago! It happens sometimes :(

I honestly find there’s less of a drama getting birds to go back to a cage when it’s daylight. Over the years I’ve only had a few birds who were happy to be re-caged once the sun was down- all the rest were ratbags (including Burt!) if I didn’t get them back into their cages before the sun starts going down.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
you may have towel him to get him back in the cage.
anything new toys, play tops different dishes I always put outside of the cage and far enough that it can viewed by Bebe but its his choice to whether he wants to go to it. some times its yes a lot of times it nope.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How´s he doing? Hope he´s alright!

i would prefer to not go to the vet so any home care tips would be appreciate
For future reference, sometimes it´s not about what we prefer or want, but what the bird needs.
If we could save vet fees and treat at home we all would, but we´re not vets and sometimes they need that professional help that we cannot give to them.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
okay
Not at all! It’s a learning process. My grey crash lands daily and I hold my breath hoping there’s nothing broken. I have pillows and cushions on the floor indoors but no padding outside

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I need to get my birds in I realised my stress and worry and fretting makes it worse. Nowadays about 20/30 mins before I have to leave the house I put a big fat sprig of millet or other tasty treat in their cage and leave the room. I don't stay far away, and I'll poke my head in if I hear anything. Shy birds don't like being observed intently, and that makes them freeze up.

Also you can try hanging stuff on the walls, like some ribbon or string by sticking it to the ceiling till he gets his bearings. As he flies towards the ribbons, they flutter and that would put him off. I don't have my 2 100% crash-free either, but they've learnt the lay of the land and so if they do crash it's usually not at a particularly high speed.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You're doing fine. You're learning and asking questions which is the right thing to do. Everyone has a learning curve with their first bird. Baby birds are clumsy and unfortunately they take a few crashes, but that's how they learn too. Just make sure that when he's out that you have curtains or something covering the windows so he doesn't try to fly through a window.