• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help: cockatiel no hair on face

lovebird33

Meeting neighbors
I was recently given this cockatiel by my friend who is moving out of state and cannot keep the bird. The bird looks ok, however, does not have any facial hair. I am posting a picture. I did not have cockatiels before but had lovebirds and parakeets. Can anyone help me out whether the feathers of the birds will come back or will she be like this forever? Thanks in advance

cockatiel1.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 11.01.09 AM.png

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
He looks like another bird was plucking him. Any idea how recently? If he's been bald for a while, chances are very slim those feathers will ever grow back as the follicles can get damaged from plucking.

Guava123

Walking the driveway
If she keeps plucking, probably not. To help plucking, you can give them a fabric collar, or preening toys from Planet Pleasures and Parrot Joy. So, what will you feed her?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He looks like he was either plucked by another bird or scratched his feathers out. Does he seem very itchy? Any discharge from his ears? I would probably take him in for a check up. As stated already, if the follicles are damaged the feathers won’t grow back.

lovebird33

Meeting neighbors
Hi,

Thank you for the advice. This bird is with another male cockatiel and I see both of them are aggressive towards each other. The male chases this bird all day. Also the male has some patches in the chest missing. Are they plucking each other? My question is even if they are plucking and biting each other, it is possible to take so many feathers out. My friend told me the birds have been together for 3-4 months now. I am planning to separate them just in case.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Yes, definitely separate. Was this guy plucked before the 3-4 months they've been caged together? Patches missing from the chest area is usually the bird plucking himself, and if he's already feather destructive then it tracks that he's also be plucking his cage mate (who is also male, btw). Can you post a photo of the other bird?

They're not especially prone to it as a species, so it usually takes a lot for a cockatiel to start plucking themself. I would definitely have an avian vet ensure there are no underlying health issues causing it.

lovebird33

Meeting neighbors
I posted some pictures of the birds what do you think about missing feathers?

lovebird33

Meeting neighbors
I posted the pictures what do you think?

Yes, definitely separate. Was this guy plucked before the 3-4 months they've been caged together? Patches missing from the chest area is usually the bird plucking himself, and if he's already feather destructive then it tracks that he's also be plucking his cage mate (who is also male, btw). Can you post a photo of the other bird?

They're not especially prone to it as a species, so it usually takes a lot for a cockatiel to start plucking themself. I would definitely have an avian vet ensure there are no underlying health issues causing it.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I posted the pictures what do you think?
Sorry to have missed this earlier. As I said before, I would take them to an avian vet to make sure there aren't any underlying health issues. That looks very odd. Is it just the one side? Behavioral plucking usually follows a more symmetrical pattern, so I worry this bird may be experiencing some irritation or pain in that area.

Are they separated, now? If so, what have you seen from the first bird since then? Does he seem excessively itchy and scratch at his face a lot like @Tiel Feathers mentioned?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I also feel that both birds should see a vet. Tiels do not frequently pluck themselves, and it looks like something else is going on. Do you notice a lot of scratching? Have you noticed the second bird plucking himself? It could be something like Giardia. Also, be aware that it is very common to get a false negative when testing for giardia because it is only shed intermittently.