• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PLEASE HELP- BEGINNER WITH BABY BIRD

parrotnewb

Sitting on the front steps
I have that first cage and wouldn't recommend it for an IRN. Great for lovies, budgies and other littles.
Hopefully there's someone who owns the other two cages to add some input :)
thank you anyways!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I worry about the bar spacing those maybe too fragile for your sweet IRN. You want something a little stronger and beefier. IRN have some pretty impressive beaks. If your guy decided to break a bar it could be very dangerous. Not only could he get out when you aren't home, but he could also hurt himself on the broken bar.

Also remember wider and bigger are best :) you need a larger foot print.

I appreciate the questions! :bounce3:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Since I see (£) in your message. I am going to guess you are in the UK. I don't know the best option, nor credible parrot shops, so this is just my attempt to help you out, hopefully it is productive :)

Complete Parrot Food and Pellets for Parrots and Pet Birds

This one is sold out, but maybe they will get more in soon? This company does a pay later system if that is something that helps your budget.
Barcelona Parrot Cage Play Top - Just Parrots

This cage is still a little small in footprint, but it has the added benefit of a playstand.

A&E Cage Company 32"x23" Play Top Decorative Bird Cage Stainless Steel: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

I feel like these are shots in the dark, I hope some people have better advice. @Ripshod Any ideas of a place to get this IRN a nicer big cage and also some quality pellets?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good UK sites are

and I like

parrot perches, natural wood perches, parrot toys, safe parrot toy making parts, bird accessories, bird perches for toys (currently closed until 6th Jan though)

parrotnewb

Thanks for asking!

A few changes have been made.
Still trying to find a new cage, we bought a bigger one temporarily however still looking
I’ve been letting him out once a day and we have a routine now
I’ve been talking to him a lot more
Giving him a bath every 3-4 days- he loves them!
Switched around his diet, been giving him pellets and seeds with a few sunflower seeds, and fruit and vegetables
Bought some more toys and he really likes bottle lids
He has honestly already become a lot more comfortable, he isn’t so scared coming in the cage at night anymore, he doesn’t fly away when I get near, I can approach him very close now. I think I’m going to wait a week or so until I try to start taming him and teaching him how to not be scared of my hand so I can pick him up.

We wouldn’t have come so far if it wasn’t for the help everyone gave me on this forum, can’t explain how grateful I am. Thank you for checking up. I’ll be sending updates your way!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My guess is that they are just worn feathers that will be replaced soon. Maybe he is a little rough with his tail, playing and hitting on cage bars? If they are stress bars then that has to do with diet. Anyone with more knowledge?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Anyone know what is wrong with his tail? I change his water 2-3 times a day sometimes with vitamins, give him pellets and fresh fruit. Anyone know?
It looks like bronzing. If you search this forum, you will find many threads about it using that word.

parrotnewb

Hi everyone- just want to give a little update! My little parrot doesn’t bite, he has learned to step up, and we are bonding a lot. Just want to say thank you to everyone who has given me advice on how to bond with him. I know it might not seem like a big deal but I’m so happy! Thank you everyone

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That is wonderful to hear! Thank you for the update. :hug8:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hi everyone- just want to give a little update! My little parrot doesn’t bite, he has learned to step up, and we are bonding a lot. Just want to say thank you to everyone who has given me advice on how to bond with him. I know it might not seem like a big deal but I’m so happy! Thank you everyone
Oh you can bet we all understand what a huge deal it is, to gain these little creatures' trust!!! I'm glad it's going so well for you!