• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help asap

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
my family needs to use cleaning products on the carpet and won’t listen to me about it being unsafe. I’m hysterical right now, don’t know what to do. Can we use this around my bird.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
We did our carpets and furniture the other week and only used vinegar, dish liquid and water. It all came up like brand new even though it’s all old enough that we really need to replace it.

Believe it or not I can still actually slightly smell the stinky chemical that was already in the cleaner from whoever had it before us and I did fill it with a string vinegar water solution and empty it just to rinse it out before filling it to use.

If you can’t convince them to use only water and vinegar then move the bird to an area you can’t smell the chemicals in.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Look, you can only do the best you can with your circumstances. I think you did the right thing about moving him to another room and airing it out. Would it be possible to try and talk your folks into getting an air purifier so that you can speed up the removal of the chemicals when they feel the need to use it. Also, try to do the research to find products that meet their need to clean and your birds needs. By working on this together before, you might find more success. You could even find a few articles on how heavy fragrance is not good for humans either.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Look, you can only do the best you can with your circumstances. I think you did the right thing about moving him to another room and airing it out. Would it be possible to try and talk your folks into getting an air purifier so that you can speed up the removal of the chemicals when they feel the need to use it. Also, try to do the research to find products that meet their need to clean and your birds needs. By working on this together before, you might find more success. You could even find a few articles on how heavy fragrance is not good for humans either.
Thanks for understand my situation, I appreciate it loads.
I do try talking to them, but its never much use. I made a few documents for them to read with links attached to cleaners like f10 etc. I'm also mixing up natural disinfectants, using things like baking soda, grapefruit extract etc.
Thanks so much :)

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
We did our carpets and furniture the other week and only used vinegar, dish liquid and water. It all came up like brand new even though it’s all old enough that we really need to replace it.

Believe it or not I can still actually slightly smell the stinky chemical that was already in the cleaner from whoever had it before us and I did fill it with a string vinegar water solution and empty it just to rinse it out before filling it to use.

If you can’t convince them to use only water and vinegar then move the bird to an area you can’t smell the chemicals in.
Yeah, I did end up moving him and afterwards I scrubbed the spot with baking soda and water to get it out the best I could. i did manage to get them to dilute the mixture before using it however. Thank you :)