• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help, abnormal behavior in peep

Peepapollo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Emily
Hi all, my name is Emily and this is about my 3 year old lovebird peep.

Peep has been acting strange for months now. It first started with some tail bobbing and some squeaking when she flys or moves, but it recently escalated. Now of course I took her to the vet immediately after these few signs, and I was given meds to treat what was suspected to be an upper respiratory Illness.

soon after the treatment, she was squeaking less and seemed to be a little more active, but recently I noticed a huge gap by her neck. In the photos she just bathed so that’s why she’s wet, but as you can see there’s some black spots and it seems to be really irritated. I’ve never caught her plucking that area and I don’t think she can reach it. I have no idea what’s causing it and I’m extremely worried. Because birds are so small an x ray would be risky unless necessary according to her vet, but I’m not sure if I should take the risk at this point.

If anyone has had a similar experience please let me know how I can treat her. I’ve been trying to look for explanations and couldn’t find any. I tried installing a pet air purifier to see if it was allergies and nothing. I’m running out of hope and I want my bird to be okay. Thank you.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would take her to the vet, looks like plucking. I´m sorry I can´t help more. You will need a professional to take a look at her and possibly run some tests.