• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please explain what emoticons do for us

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry you are going through a rough patch! Those times do color how we see everything else...I've gone through similar times and sure I will again in the future.

Sending hugs to you, and please...you aren't making anyone here feel bad by not using emoticons. And if someone feels bad because they aren't getting a bunch of hearts or thumbs up on an internet forum, it is their own insecurities. It is not the responsibility of other members' actions.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
No worries... a non-issue, I am a member with to the point / less is more words type.
I use the silly things when and how I choose. Emoticons or something like that.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
One way I use the 911 posts is to see if the comments that I would make (if I could) match what the experienced admins answers. This helps me figure out where I am in my bird knowledge and leaves me a little less frustrated (even though I often want to give them words of encouragement). I also found that very often the poster will start another post which I can add my words of encouragement there as well. We are glad you are here and hopefully our words can make your day just a little bit better. I know it really warms my heart when I am having a down day and can go on here and hear stories of wonderful birds. It really helps!

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
I found it hard to insert emoticons into my conversations. Generally I've picked up a few for other people that I like to use. I use them sparely. To each their own. Guess I've been on the net since the early 90's, never did MySpace or Facebook. All the new socials...um no thanks. I use avian avenue and another text based board. So I never really had the option or need. Do I use a few now? Maybe about 10. However they are the same ones you can type on a typewriter. ;)

Holidays are hard. Trust me you're not alone out there. Could would say more but the bird demands immediate attention.

Last edited:

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Please don't feel pressured to use the reactions or comment where you don't know what to say. We have many many people that only read and rarely reply.

The 911 forum is the only area that is really restricted to people with a known level of medical knowledge and veterans. This is because we have had issues in the past with members jumping into a thread to bash people coming here to help, and because some people were giving dangerous advice. It is not a perfect system, but it has helped prevent these problems to a great degree.
I understand. Until my health concerns sidelined me, I was a researcher studying avian disease and immunology. So I have some years of related coursework/ experience and would love to be able to contribute and to help birds.